1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are some good part-time jobs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StrudelBass, May 6, 2006.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I'm looking to find a new part-time job. Fast food just isn't cutting it, especially at a measly minimum wage and rising gas prices. What are some good part-time jobs for a 19 year old in college?

2. the mall

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    GC!!:hyper:

4. i would say anything retail...best buy, shopko, walmart (if you really have to :)) or some place like that is always a fun job :)
    if you are a morning person you could work in a bakery, thats fun :)

5. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Having worked a lot of part time jobs in my short life, I'd say that if you don't mind dealing with people, but just wish it wasn't as demeaning as MickeyD's or some similar hellhole, look for a job a chill coffeeshop. Usually you get treated and paid a little better, and you don't have to deal with food that's as disgusting...

If you can work it, also try to get a job at a record store. It can be competitive in some places, but that might be a good option.

Some places can help pay for school, too, like UPS if you're in a big city or thereabouts. That can be a lot of manual labor depending on what job you're assigned to, but a goodly paycheck and health benefits if you stick with it for awhile. Depends on how much time your schooling takes up in studying and whatnot (I wouldn't have been able to do it while going to college, but everyone's experience differs).

Hope that helps.

6. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Yeah I'm definitely trying to get out of the food industry altogether. Before I use to work at a Pizza Hut and now I'm working at a Quiznos. The current job I have is incredibly boring and I have to do so many small tasks (my co-workers are really anal about me just standing around waiting for customers to come by, even after doing my duties). I can't seem to get hired anywhere other than the lame food jobs I get though, is there something I should know about filling out job applications properly?

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Starbucks...

They pay decently, and part-timers are eligible for benefits...

8. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I prefer restaurants or more 'upscale' chain food places. Retail made me go crazy and want to kill everyone, but I've found waiting tables to be much more enjoyable.

9. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    You could try working in a hotel. It's not as bad as I make it out to be, it's fairly simple and pays decent for someone in college.* If you want, PM me.

AuG

*It pays decent around here, but it may be different where you are. YMMV

10. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I'm telling you, man, record store... it's the only place where that salty attitude would be a plus :p

11. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I say go with food. Bagel places, Pizza place, etc pay decently and sometimes the tips are real nice. Plus the hours can be more flexible once you get more experience.

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i have always worked manual labor. Great Pay and you get paid to workout. It will help build arm strength and keep your body in shape (which will improve your playing). did i mention great pay?

13. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

+1

Whereas other places have required me to do a ton of little pointless tasks (*ahem* Gino's East!), being something like a mover is a very straightforward job and can get you $10.00+ an hour if you find the right place to work.

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I remember seeing a college kid from California take up a job on a fishing boat on an episode of the Deadliest Catch (Discovery Channel). He got paid out somewhere around $20,000+ for his work. Maybe you could consider something similar. In all seriousness, I probably would have tried it out, considering it would've wiped my debts clean, and my uncle runs a fishing boat off the Alaska coast in season. :)

15. local music shops and record stores. Thats where I'm heading when I hit 16.

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Record shops and bookstores.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think being a waiter in a decent restaurant is the best way to go. Tips can really come in nice when people eat a lot. Ive always considered being a waiter part time.

As for the gas thing. I dont get paid great at my job, just a little above minumum wage, but it is a really great job, much more respectable than your average teenie bopper jobs. I work with people who are all 40+ years old, which is something I enjoy. This summer Im considering riding my bike to work everyday. It is about 4 miles. It may be worth it to a)stay in shape b) save a hundred bucks over the summer.

18. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    I'm doing crew work/teaching at National Guitar Workshop this summer.

WOOT!

19. Lots of minimum wage, no future food industry jobs being mentioned here. But ++++++10,000 to this post.

One of my sons worked in landscaping in high school and college and by the time he graduated he was making $15 to $20 per hour. He went to work for a big NYC ad firm and when he got tired of the BS after 3 years he went back to landscaping to pay for grad school. Another laid ceramic tile as a floor mechanic and was making $15 per hour in college. You get a "skill" that you can always use to get a job, good money, self-respect and you might find lots of other career options that wouldn't occur to you just being exposed to the typical college "job fair" selections.