Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are some good pre amp/power amp set-ups for a aggy 4/10 & 1/15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stinkyrypoo, Jul 20, 2002.

1. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    Im soon getting a aggy 4/10 and 1/15 and i want to get a decent amount of power out of the two. I have a swr 750x and i dont have it with me right now and im debating whether or not i should use it for the aggy babys or try a pre amp/power amp set-up. I have always used regular amps for my cabs. If anyone can recomend me a pre amp/power amp set-up that would help me out alot.

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    The obvious choice if you've got the money would be an Aguilar DB680 preamp and an Aguilar all-tube poweramp. Even used, that would cost around $2000. If you don't have that kind of money, or prefer solid-state power (and/or bi-amping,) go with a QSC PLX poweramp if you want something light, or something from Crest's CA series if weight isn't an issue to you.

You might want to mention the price range you're interested in and the features you want (compression, DI, overdrive, crossovers, stereo FX loop, tube and/or solid state, bright and deep filters, multiple channels and so on.)

If you want something dirt cheap, go for a Carvin DCM poweramp and one of the following pre's:
    Yamaha PB-1
    Peavey Max
    ADA MB-1
    Ashly (not sure what the model is)

3. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    I want effects loops and whatever else i guess i need. Id like to stay under $2 grand. Would my 750x sound good though?

4. Sure the DB680 preamp sounds great, but personally, i would recommend the DB659 and a QSC poweramp. You won't pay much for either unit so you get affordability, and you'll get such a sweet sound. Maybe you could get the DB359 and the DB728 all tube poweramp to get an even better sound, i'm sure you could get one for a decent price used.

5. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    thanks, im gonna keep looking.

6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    The bass 750x would sound great. Just keep in mind that you've got a 2.67 ohm impedance load.

7. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    i know dude, thanks.

8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Why not check out the aggie DB750 hybrid head? That should be the perfect match,, plus they sell for waaaayyy under 2k. Or,, howabout an Aguilar, Demeter, Kern, Alembic (cut mids), or Ampeg preamp going into a Carvin/QSC poweramp?