What are some good reasons to play bass over guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by duo8675309, Jan 19, 2006.

1. duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    I've been playing bass for about a year now, and I've been wondering if i should switch to guitar. I mean, i like bass, but i just don't know. I'll probably stick with it, i just don't know why i play. I guess cause i like to fill in. But i also like the spotlight. I don't know. I'm just rambling i guess...
  2. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    1. There's a higher demand for bassists than guitarists.

2. You get a sweet forum called talkbass to get whatever info you need! :ninja:
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You will never play a single note or chord on the guitar that has as much force and thunder as a single note on the bass.

Nobody dances, taps their feet, or bops their head to guitar.
  4. The best reason is because it makes you happier than playing guitar.

If it doesn't, then play guitar.
  5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    1) We show up to pratice on time. Usually.
    2) We can read music
    3) We have better tone.
    4) We play in tune.
    5) It's harder to sing and play bass than it is to play guitar and play bass.

6. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    WHAT THE *(*%#$#

Just joking, if your playing with your band and walk off stage during a jam the whole thing sh*t's the bed, you are in the spotlight and research shows that people are subconsciously drawn to a song because of the bottom end. Stand proud brother you are as important as any other member of the band and the spotlight does shine on you.:cool:
  7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    F-ing "A" man!
  8. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Play both! Many of us here (myself included) play guitar (and/or other instruments) in addition to bass.
  9. duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    That's what i think i'll do. I still am going to mainly play bass though. thanks, guys.
  10. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    One word. Funk.
  11. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    bass is awesome.

that's all there is to it.
  12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    bass sucks.

13. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Bass solos won't make you go deaf like guitar ones will?

Which is why I don't play violin.
  14. Yeah, I mean, we only play bass because we're not talented enough to play the guitar. Six strings is harder than four; duh.

Yeah play both, thats what I do.
  15. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Harmonic power.

You are the link between harmony and rhythm.
  16. Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    because sound like a bunch of poop
  17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO all bass players should have at least survival skills on guitar. Learning guitar chords and how they are devised helps your bass skills a lot. Also, it's nice to sit with an acoustic guitar and just play songs.
  18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'd say it's pretty much impossible to play guitar and play bass simultaneously.:smug:
  19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Do a search on Charlie Hunter.
  20. From the subjective mind of a bassist:
    If you have to ask yourself that question maybe the bass is not for you! :spit:

:D ;)

I don't know, it's probably only a question you can answer yourself. Lots of people will try different instruments before they find out what works for them, the one instrument that only you can freely express yourself. Get a git...........a git..........giiiitt, oh! you know! That six string twangy thing that is an octave above us all.

Try it out, you will only learn more in the long run. The Bass will be waiting.