1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are some good roundwounds to put on an Ibanez ATK???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by suitlandkid2005, Mar 18, 2009.

1. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    I am about to own a 90's Ibanez ATk and I was wondering what are some good roundwounds to put on it. I am a versatile player and I like all styles but I do slap a lot so I want some thing that will give me a great slap sound. On my current beginner Ibanez, I am using stainless steel dr hi beams. The music store I went to recommended them and I love them. They are actually the only strings I have played since I can't really determine the sound and look of different brands; but I do know I want to stick with the stainless steel and the roundwound. I was on musician's friend and looking at some dr strings I thinking about ordering. I am thinking about going ahead and getting the light gauge dr hi beams; but I see the marcus miller and the bootsy strings and I am like whoa..but I'm not the type of person to run to something just because somebody name is on them. I am more concerned with sounding good. I will be taking my bass to a luthier instead of the music shop for my set-up and wanted to come on here ask what strings do you guys recommend for the ATK? Here's a link to the musician's friend site with the dr strings:
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend....ic-bass-guitar-strings?N=100001+343612+201305

2. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I like the dr strings and prefer the hi beams. They work good on my atk which is a newer one so I am sure they should work good for you. They have a similar slap tone to the lo riders but a much warmer finger tone. Hope this helps.

3. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks...it sure did...would you go for the light or medium gage? Or it doesn't matter?

4. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I prefer medium myself but the gauge you use is personal preference. Use the gauge you are most comfortable with.

5. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    Ok..thanks...I am just trying to get a good slap tone. That is all. One more thing...I do down tune the E string to to B or C sometimes. Would the light gauge be effected by that or should I just go with the medium guage?

6. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    With down tuning that much I would suggest a heavier gauge to avoid string flop. Just so you know if you didn't already you shouldn't have such a big change in tunnings or your intonation will be way out of whack. If you change your tunning often by more then just standard to drop d I'd suggest getting another bass or jumping up to a 5 string and have the best of both worlds. I made the jump to a 6 last year and now can't live without having at least one of my 6ers at gigs and practice lol.