What Are Some Good Songs That Make Use Of A Six String Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by invisiman, Apr 19, 2004.

1. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I've checked out most of Dream Theaters stuff, but I don't think my guitarists could handle most of it to be honest.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! :bassist:
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Anything using the B and C strings regularly..?
  3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Primus songs, i don't know exactly which ones are played on 6 though. I know the tapped songs are played on 6ers.
  4. You should definitely try "Tommy the Cat". My old band used to play this about 3 years ago. It is actually played on a six- string fretless, but I played it on my 5-string fretted. It's kind of hard to figure out, though, and not many tabs are right. Get the Primus Anthology sheet music to figure out how to play it. I played it and sang it and the crowd always loved it.
  5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Tommy the Cat is a fine piece of work indeed, all the tabs i found are all bogus, i try to learn it by ear on my 4 fretted, but have basically given up on it.
  6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Not a lot of songs in a rock format. Look into Jazz Fusion and you will find a bunch. Keep in mind, you don't have to play songs the exact way they are written. Some other good bassists who have used the six string bass besides Myung and Claypool are John Pattituci and Anthony Jackson. There are others too, but I don't know of any other famous ones.

6 Strings aren't especially useful doing rock covers, they're really useful when you want a 3 octave range on the fretboard in one spot especially in solos.
  7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

steve bailey, er, baily, er you got it, right?

killer six fretless plyr, tech wise....
  8. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Aerosmith - Back in the Saddle