Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are some good thin bodied uprights?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by learning_towalk, Oct 24, 2004.

1. I'm thinking about getting a thin bodied DB...I love my Hermann Berry E230 but I've gotten so used to playing my ergo stick that the high action and the body drive me crazy....so I was thinking about getting a thin bodied upright...also, I'm gonna get an adjustable bridge put on my E230....how low could I get the action on it???

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    :rollno:

3. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    None :eyebrow:

az

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Pardon my ignorance...what is a Hermann Berry E230, and why are you so anxious to replace it with a Karen Carpenter Signature DB?

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    If you buy a thin-bodied bass, you're pretty much stuck with it for life. Those things are impossible to re-sell!

6. Marcus, this is sick even for you!!
    I've played a few of those thin body mothers and I wouldn't do it if I were you....they don't sound good !

7. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

Arnold

never say 'impossible' !

A friend called me saying enthusiastically that he'd found 'the perfect' bass for me. (me always grumbling about outdoor gigs in Florida) it was at an Amp repair shop and when I got there it was one of the thin bodies but I didn't check the maker. I played it and that one anyway seemed to be the worst of both worlds. Neither fish nor fowl. Surprisingly It was sold before the end of the week so maybe an amp repair shop is the place to unload them! It seems I read here at the forum that someone was very happy using one in the pit band for a musical. But the sound and playability of this one did not appeal to me!

8. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    If you mean a 4" shallow-depth bass with a normal top profile outline, there are a few Romanian factories making them and I've seen some Chinese knockoffs. A lot of them are marketed as being a "Jazz Electric" model.

I also remember seeing on an old Kolstein or Hammond Ashley photo gallery a shallow-depth bass made in the 1920s. It seemed like it had a body depth of about 5".

Steve

9. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I have a Mathis Thoma thin body upright. It's ok for pizz, not great not bad. I absolutely hate it for arco though. Just doesn't feel right. I would much rather have a big bodied bass. I haven't tried to sell it so I'm not sure about re-sale. It just doesn't have the full sound that a full bodied bass does. I have a realist on mine and it takes some eq to get it to sound full through an amp. When I got it I had to have the fingerboard planed and radiused and the action was way way way too high. I used it for a production of ain't misbehavin' and it worked but I really would rather have had a full body for it.

just my $.02

10. thanks to those of you who gave helpful responses, I appreciate the help

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    They still have the thing sitting around actually, and the depth can't be more then 3.5" or 4". I remember playing one at the lark in the morning store in SF, and my opion was and is that I have played better sounding ABGs.

12. Paul said,

I'm sure this is generally true, and is good sound advice for Mr learning_towalk. But FWIW, I have to throw in that once I played a thin-body bass (around 4", top to back) a few years ago at Gage's shop, and, mystery of mysteries, it sounded pretty darn good. David said it was the road bass, in for repairs, belonging to XXX, a jazz player of pretty serious stature whose name I can't recall just now. But no doubt, such a rare exception would be very hard to find. I am sure most of these thin basses sound awful, as many experienced people here have testified.

Strongly suggest to Mr. L-TW that you simply buy a real bass, set it up to get the combination of sound and playability that you want, and just learn to play it.

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I have yet to play the one H-A has, the thing looks like it was really played hard or dragged around for years, the one I played was just crap and even if it had been normal depth it still would have been crap. The problem with these things to me is that they are made to be quieter for practicing of amplifying, but be built like a normal DB which creates something that will only work in a few settings, if your situation calls for this type of bass cool; but I think a normal depth bass, Baby bass or EUB would be more usable for most players.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There is a David Gage "Road Bass" - which has a much smaller body - although not back to front - it's more half the height!
    I saw Michael Formanek play one at close quarters and it sounded great - very acoustic-sounding! :)

[​IMG]

15. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Barry Guy (one of England's leading modern classical/improv bassists) and Roger Dawson (probably England's leading DB luthier) have built a road bass too, called the travelbass.

http://www.mayarecordings.com/travelbass/travelbass02/index.html

I'm sure theres a world of difference between these custom built, world-class luthier made thin basses that Formanek and Guy are using, and some of the thin basses mentioned above...

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The Gage CzechEase lists at $2,800 with a soft case - which is pretty cheap, I would have thought? :meh:

17. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
  18. Kay put out a skinny model....we used to call 'em "pre-war Kays" anybody ever run into one of those?
    I played one once that was the best sounding Kay I ever heard!

19. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I saw my first "pancake" Bass at Reggie Workman's house about 35 years ago. That's what he called it then, Pancake!.. I saw two others at Kolsteins about 4 years ago, an old 18th century Dutch Bass and this; Voigt & Geiger Bass Violin - Chicago, USA c. 1920.

They always sound thin to me. I think they would have limited application like Jazz or a 'Pit Bass' but not much more. Yes, one can see a quick sale on a 'blue moon' night but try having 2 or more to unload.. Now we're taliking about slow turnover.

20. I saw him play this at Aplleby Jazz Festival - its sounded good and (if you know Barry's playing) must be very robust. I understand these are less than £3K. I also saw him walk to the gig carrying it (in a soft case) and though there was something odd but couldn't put my finger on it. He carried it vertically by his side like a very tall and long handbag. (Barry is wquite short BTW).