Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are some good warm up stretches

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trist6075, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    I was hoping that you guys could share a few hand and arm stretches that you do before playing that work well. I need to start doing that stuff.

thanks,
    Tristan

2. i dont know about stretching but i always walk along the fretboard faster and faster to get my fingers all warmed up, try doing that on each string faster and faster for about 5 minutes before you play. it will also strengthen your right arm too if your challenging it with enough speed.

3. My teacher taught me this one, he calls it the inchworm. I'll put it in tab for you. Play it slowly at first, then gradually speed up if you want.

G---------------------------------4-5-6-7-------------
    D----------------------3-4-5-6------------5-6-7-8---
    A-----------2-3-4-5-----------------------------------
    E-1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------
    etc.

Make shure to keep going until you reach the tenth fret on the G string with your index finger, then work your way back down (ooh, that sounds dirty...).

Make sure to use the one finger per fret method. Repeat until you feel warmed up.

4. I always play the main riff to Aerosmith's "Walkin' the Dog"...it goes (all eighth notes):

------------------
    -------5-4-2------
    -----2-------5-2--
    -0-0--------------

repeat this line two more times, then play (sixteenths with a sixteenth rest between each pair):

------------------------
    -55-44-33-22-------
    --------------------552---
    --------------------

Aerosmith rules. You can't go wrong with Aerosmith. OK, old Aerosmith at least.

5. In addition to the 1-2-3-4 stuff, I usually like to play a simple blues line

D-------447744----
    A---4477------7744
    E-55---------------

and a bunch of octaves to get the hand used to stretching between index and pinky.

then a little bit of this

G----4-1---
    D---3---2--
    A--2-----3-
    E-1-------4