What are some great slap bass albums?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by napski, Nov 7, 2005.

1. napski

napski Great. Where the heck am I now?

Oct 27, 2005
    I read an excellent thread on here about suggestions for great slap bass players to listen to, but I was interested in hearing suggestions about which ALBUMS and CD's are REALLY GOOD to get.

The reason being is that buying these albums can get quite expensive (and I'm basically broke right now :help:...in fact, who isn't?), so I want to make sure the albums I get are good.

I'm just venturing into slapping and was searching for some music to listen to.

So post away wtih your suggestions...thanks and peace out. :bassist:
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anything by Marcus Miller, I'd say get his double live bootleg. You'll pay a bit more, but you will get your money's worth, and then some. It's honestly way too much music for me to digest in one sitting. It's two discs, roughly 15 tracks on each disc, and extended jams. Barely fits on the disc. And if you haven't heard, Marcus is the man when it comes to slap that is not only tight/groovin', it's also melodic.
  3. napski

napski Great. Where the heck am I now?

Oct 27, 2005
    I just listened to a sample on Amazon...awesome! Found it on the bay for about $10 with shipping...picked it up.

Thanks for the awesome suggestion...any more?
  4. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    Mark King with Level 42, in particular a double CD live which name I can't remember but the man is killing !

Graham central station, the first slaper Larry Graham. Those CDs should not coast you too much cause they 're not realy new but realy settled the basis for slapping.

5. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Any of Victor Wooten's stuff with Bela Fleck and his solo outings

Stanley Clarke: Stanley Clarke, Journey to Love, School Days

Brothers Johnson: Right On Time, Light Up The Night, Look OUt for #1
  6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Marcus Miller: "The Sun don`t lie"
    Stuart Hamm: "Kings of sleep"
    Vail Johnson: "Terminator"
    Victor Wooten: "A Show of hands"
    Alain Caron: "Play"
    Dave La Rue: "Hub city kid"
    Randy Coven: "Funk me tender"

You`ll have a slap fest for hours.
  7. SuperSonic!!!

Oct 26, 2005
    I would suggest the Level 42-live at Rockpalast DVD. You can get it off their site.

Marcus' silver rain has some great slapping, and some Stanley Clarke has as well.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Stanley Clarke's "School Days" is kind of a requirement for all bassists to own.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What kind of slapping do you want to hear? Real technique heavy slapping or slapping in a funky groove as it was originally intended? Which kind is which is a bit subjective, but I really like Chaka Khan's first solo album "Chaka" for old fashioned slapping in the groove. It Will Lee and Chaka's brother, Mark Stevens thumping the heck out of their P-basses and really getting that 1970's slap sound. Also check out anything by Pleasure, their bassist was a true virtuoso, and check out Slave's greatest hits for Mark Adams III's work. He did alot of fingerstyle too, but he was a great slapper.
  10. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    David Dyson-go to his website
    Anything by Mark Adams from the group SLAVE
    Graham Central Station-Larry Graham also Sly & the family stone
    anything by The Brothers Johnson-Louis Johnson
    Brown Mark-Prince-get his solo stuff if you can find it, unbelievable!!!1
    Tetsuo Sakurai-Akira Jimbo-solo stuff too
    Jermaine Jackson-First three solo albums after the Jackson 5, yeah even way back then.
    anything by Victor Wooten
    Rhonda Smith-obtained only from her website
    Stanley Clarke
    Bill Dickens
    Anything from CAMEO-Aaron Mills, Michael Burnett, Charlie Singleton and Larry Blackmon all played bass at one time or another.
    Aurra-Steve Washington- in the group SLAVE also
    Anything from Pleasure-Nate Phillips on bass!!! especially the cut called GLIDE! who can play it properly?? ;)
    Older Prince stuff
    Andre' Cymone-Prince's first bassist-any of his solo stuff, very hard to find but I did find 'em, so there should be some floating around, he did three solo albums, slap happy heaven.
    Ozone-Teena Marie's band-sickly wicked, Teena even did some of the bass.
    Jamaica Boys- Marcus Miller, two albums out to date, get 'em both, especially the first one.

11. Are you talking about "The Ozell Tapes"? each disk only has 8 songs on it.
  12. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Yeah but some of those songs are recorded live and last for a long time. Check it out. :)
  13. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Stanley's "School Days"

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    +another one.
  15. Marcus Miller's "Silver Rain"

awesome awesome album