1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are some healthy ways to deal with stress?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Sep 28, 2008.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    What are some healthy ways to deal with stress? I've been particularly stressed out this semester because of my course load, my job, applying for a college transfer, and other issues going on in my life. I've been having some serious trouble sleeping because my roommate stays up until 4 am almost every night watching tv and listening to music. This is particularly bad for me because I have 8 am classes 3 days a week, and I have to get up at 5 am at least once a week for work. Thought I've confronted him twice about it, he still has not changed his habits, hence my sleep aid thread. I'm trying to schedule an appointment with my RA/residential life to have some more formal action taken, but until then, I have to deal with what I've got. I'm also taking five upper division courses this semester, all of which have tons of reading and essay workload. I also work 24-36 hours a week as an EMT, with rotating shifts that includes overnights (with no sleep). I'm also starting a new club on campus so I've been working on that as well. I'm falling behind on my classes, and it's been showing, since I just got an exam back with a score of 36 percent. I've also been applying to transfer to a state university due to financial reasons, so I've been running back and forth jumping through hoops to get all the paperwork in on time, plus wondering if I'll even get in, and if I do, whether or not I should transfer since I'm a junior (loss of credits, not fitting in/making friends, etc.)

Any tips on how to relieve some stress so I can at least sleep and get some work done? Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed I've been turning to smoking tobacco much more often as well as drinking, and I don't want to go down that path. I'm thinking about going to the College Counseling/Mental Health service this week to talk to a therapist. Anything to help me cope in the meantime?

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Exercise and routine.

It sounds like routine's not available, so I'd defintiely take advantage of any exercise time available. Hit some weights, take a yoga class, play some pick up ball. It's a natural stress reliever and sleep stimulator.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    exercise - the best method

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I'll third that.

it's always starting the routine that's the hardest bit for me too. over time I tend to lapse back into bad habits and I really have to force myself to get back on track. :) hope things work out!

5. Go to the dump and smash stuff

6. Smash things and abuse your liver with alcohol. May not be "healthy" but it's healthier than being stressed out...

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Quit a least one of your obligations. You probably don't need to be an EMT, and you certainly don't need to start up a club.

You can also try some forearm exercises if your room mate isn't around :ninja:

8. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I can probably cut back some time spent on the club. As for the EMS, that's a paid gig, and I need the money for food/books/supplies/help pay tuition.

9. ok. well, to start off, change your locks. teach your roommate he needs to beg to get inside, and when he does, if he's not screwing, it's sleeping.

second, a 36 is not so unacceptable. think of it this way. if you got a 50 percent, you would've been half right :D.

oh, and lastly, screwing is a GREAT way of relieving stress.

10. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Do some exercise or a short trip to "disconnect" your mind of problems for a while.

11. Hit the punching bag until I see better or talk to someone who has nothing to do with what im stressed about.

12. Stress?? I gave it up when I quit my last job about 8 years ago. I could feel the stress leaving my body as I walked out of the building and it hasn't returned since.

13. Do some actual praying... sure works for me. Then as the other guys already suggested: do some tiring exercise, and yeah.. smash up some cardboard boxes or whatever you can afford to destroy without hurting yourself.

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Find a new project, I got dumped by my girlfriend last week, and then on Thursday I got the go-ahead to start working on a proposal for a non-fiction book... that has helped immeasurably.

You could also try picking up a new hobby. I'd suggest starting to study film, if you're into that sort of thing. Movies, especially once you're aware of all the nuances that go into them, are a great way to stop stressing out.

Hell, you could even pick up the bass again, you resident former bassist you.

15. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    +1 totally agree

16. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    owned_baby_seal.

17. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Exercise

18. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, exercise your club at a seal.

19. I second the exercise idea.

I go swimming 4 times a week and it really helps clear my mind.

20. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]