Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are some interesting standards?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by hateater, Nov 2, 2005.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    My jazz combo at school allows us the opportunity to master 2 songs every two weeks. I was wondering if there are any favorites among the DB crowd? Here is the ground we have covered as a group so far (not too much, but it's a good start)

Green Dolphin St.
    Foggy Day
    Black Orpheus
    Just Friends
    Straight, No Chaser
    Doxie (Doxy?)
    Autumn Leaves
    There Will Never be Another you

2. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    some good stuff there!
    Personaly, I love "I've found a new baby"

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    One of my favourites is "East of the Sun (West of the Moon)," followed pretty closely by "I Can't Give You Anything But Love."

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oh Lord, what a loaded question! No offense intended, but this thread could go on for days.

I just played a sublime version of "Lush Life" with the great pianist Gene Argel tonight. That's a good starting point.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree on both your points !! :)

So I have a stack of A4 lead sheets of "interesting standards" I have been given/played, that is getting up to about 4 feet in height!! ;)

But I was going to say when I saw this thread title, that Lush Life was one of the most complex "genuine" standards - as opposed to Jazz originals or arrangements that have become accepted Jazz tunes .....?

6. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    kepp em coming!

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I dunno. It seems like they're all interesting. Why else would they be played so often? Personally, if a standard isn't interesting then I probably haven't played it enough. And I would imagine if I played it lots and it still isn't interesting, then maybe I should change the way I play it to make it so.

I just played Equinox for the first time last night. Never heard the tune before. The chord progression is a totally watered down blues but it was still very fascinating to me. In that regard, Blue Monk is still one of my favorites to play. It has that simple je-ne-sais-quoi about it that I still love playing it over and over.

EDIT: Thinking about this reminded me of a story John Clayton (or was it Russell Malone? I forget) told the audience at the last Tribute to Ray Brown Show at Yoshi's a couple of weeks ago. He basically said something like "Ray could take a tune that everybody's recorded a hundred times before, but when he did it, he played that tune like it was nobody's business. As if you've never heard it played that way before." I dig that anecdote.

8. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Critic Thomas Conrad, in the April, 2004 JazzTimes, alludes to “the quality of immediacy [which is] essential to jazz. That quality originates, not from the assumption that the notes have never been played before, but from a sense that they have come into being, in real time, as urgent creative impulses.”

Like Huy says, it may take longer than two weeks to "master" a standard, but that doesn't stop us from having fun trying.

As for "interesting" standards, I'm partial to "Have You Met Miss Jones" because the bridge tells a unique tale. Similarly, "How My Heart Sings" has that wonderful switch from 3/4 into 4/4 that just kicks you in the pants every time. But like everybody says, you don't play standards because they're interesting, you play standards because it gives everybody a common space to explore. Your teacher is apparently doing a good job on that.

Mostly I'd just say, "Play the tunes you're listening to a lot." And have fun, hombre.

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    +1. I was gonna suggest that one too but I got scared off when I remembered having to play that in 12 keys for a class. Of all the tunes we did in 12 keys, Miss Jones was the hardest and the bridge always threw everybody's ear for a loop! Oh how Miss Jones can be a b1tc#!!!! :p

10. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Take a random page from your book and work on that. If its there is probubly worth while.
    In my experiance anything by Mingus, Monk, Wayne Shorter or Horus Silver are interesting.

11. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Nice starter list.

Some of the ones that keep getting played are:

Body and Soul

Ceora

There Is No Greater Love

Easy Living

Nostalgia in Times Square (no one seems to know this one, but they really like it after we run through it, easy one too)

Blue Bossa (always think of this one as a standard for classes at school)

12. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, thus far we have been playing things that each of us have already played at one time or another. I reccomended Straight, No Chaser and Green Dolphin St. because I played those two songs for a jury last year. I get what you are saying though, I didn't mean to make it seem as though we just wanted to play "the best" standards. I understand that a song is only what the band makes of it.

13. Cairobill

Cairobill

Dec 15, 2003
    London
    At the moment...has to be 'Detour Ahead'...first make sure you get the Bill Evans (the Bill Evans Trio with La Faro) and Ella Fitzgerald Versions (the one with her and the songs co-composer, Herb Ellis, on Guitar) - listen to Ella first (beautiful song) then listen to Evans just take it off into another dimension. Very spooky and amazingly beautiful...

C

14. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Sidewinder and Limehouse Blues is what we were "given" this week..... so maybe next week

15. Bruce Lindfield

Again it's what you make of these...

There's a local(ish) band called Cubana Bop, who mix Jazz and Cuban rhythms - all good players - they did a version of the Sidewinder, which was really furious and funky - it was a highlight of their set!! :)

16. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    There are so many great tunes out their by Jazz Master Composers that
    I like to include in my "Standards" list. Lately my ears have gravitated to tunes by Tad Dameron, Benny Carter, and Billy Strayhorn. Abersold recently put out a Tad Dameron Play Along with "On a Misty Night" it's a wonderful tune, based on September in the Rain. Isfahan by Billy Strayhorn is a great tune as well. When Light's are Low by Benny Carter is
    a real gem. I like to think of these three players and their contributions, along side the tin pan alley crowd. They sometimes get overlooked. Tad wrote "If You Could See Me Now" and it's a standard that was recorded as a vocal many many times.

Ric

17. Bruce Lindfield

My regular Jazz teacher (Alto Sax) released an album of Tad Dameron tunes and he's shared quite a few of his lead sheets - some very nice stuff!! ;)