Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are some killer Bass instrumental cd's

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by banditcosmo, Oct 19, 2003.

1. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I want to buy some instrumental cd's with a lot of bass soloing. I'm going to get Jaco's first cd but what else should I get ? I'd like to find some Fusion, jazz or rock style playing.
    I have one cd that I really like called "Polytown" by Mick Karn, David Torn & Terry Bozzio.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You may want to check out Vital Tech Tones, which is a "power trio" featuring Scott Henderson, Victor Wooten, and Steve Smith

Also, "the light beyond" is another "power trio" album featuring; Stu Hamm, Frank Gambale, and Steve Smith

both are very good, I think I prefer "the light beyond" more though.

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Check out Stuart Hamm's Kings of Sleep album. It's really good.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Tony Levin smokes on both of the "Liquid Tension Experiment" discs.

Stanley Clarke or Marcus Miller is always a humbling purchase.

I love Dave Holland's bass 'voice'. I've got about 85% of his catalog including his work with Miles... great stuff! Not really Rock or Fusion though.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One that I can strongly recommend is our own Trip Wamsley's "It's Better This Way." After catching him in a fun solo concert on a street corner in Corsicana, TX this past Friday night I purchased the aforementioned CD. Great stuff, really. I never picked up the Difference Engine but I have Dancing About Architecture (his 1st CD) and his newest one is miles ahead. Check it out.

brad cook

6. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    The Deepest End CD/DVD

$26.98

Two CD plus DVD set recorded live at the historic Deepest End Concert in New Orleans, LA on May 3rd, 2003. DVD includes 15 minutes of behind the scenes footage plus a photo gallery.

Starring Gov't Mule (Warren Haynes, Matt Abts, and Danny Louis). Featuring appearances by bass players Les Claypool, Mike Gordon, Jason Newsted, Victor Wooten, George Porter, Jr, Dave Schools, Greg Rzab, Rob Wasserman, and more. Also featuring appearances by the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Fred Wesley, Karl Denson, Bernie Worrell, Bela Fleck, and many others.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Anything from Marcus!! Nothing but Bass all over it!!

9. "Upper Extremeties" by Bruford/Levin, featuring Bill Bruford on drums and percussion, Tony Levin on bass/EUB/Chapman Stick, David Torn's guitar madness, and the excellent trumpettist Chris Botti (who played on Sting's "Brand New Day").

You don't get much bass soloing on this album (you do get a Stick solo, though), but this album is a must for those into adventurous avant-garde instrumental jazz-rock.

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I second that.

Also, check out Dave LaRue with the Steve Morse Band.

11. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    check out adam nitti's solo cds. especially his newest one ("evidence") is fantastic. http://www.adamnitti.com

also interesting is ray riendeau's work, though some of his stuff is a bit over-the-top. too much chops at certain times, but still very interesting. http://www.rayriendeau.com

although his "feature" at this forum wasn't all that great, jeff berlin's playing definately is.
    http://www.jeffberlin.com

check out the very original and inventive musical work of michael manring. http://www.manthing.com.

also worth a listen: mike pope @ http://www.mikepopejazz.com and matt garrison @ http://www.garrisonjazz.com

there are more...

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gary Willis-Bent
    Gary Willis-No Sweat
    ...any Tribal Tech album with Willis(e.g. Rocket Science)

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    85%, huh?
    I'm having a hard time finding Holland's stuff with Anthony Braxton; also, Corea's Circle band.
    Would any of those be in the 15% you're missing too?
    ;)

BTW, if you like Miles' era with Holland-
    Check out Eric Kloss & The Rhythm Section(Kloss on sax with Holland, Corea, DeJohnette, AND Pat Martino). This was released originally in 1970.

Holland's current band is about as happenin' as it gets...IMHO.

14. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Damn - wanted to be the first to mention Show of Hands... When I met Victor (purely by accident) I had the pleasure of telling him that all my customers at the tattoo studio really enjoyed that album while getting stabbed on =0) He asked if I'd give him a tat, but never called me *snif*.

Those were the days. I don't do that stuff no mo' - the dayjob finally pays more.

15. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Michale Manring's "Drastic Measures" has to be my favorite. The musicianship and amazing fretless tone cover up the technical wankery very well.

Favorite track on that one is "Oyasumi Nasai," the new-agey/classical duet with Paul McCandless.

Stu Hamm's "Kings of Sleep" and John Pattitucci's eponymous release were the ones that got me to play bass.

16. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Victor Bailey "Low Blow"
    Victor Wooten & Steve Bailey "Cookbook" or "Bass extremes"
    Stu Hamm's"Raido free Albemuth"