1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Are Some Modern Sounding Jazz Pick-ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RSmith, Apr 21, 2006.

1. My main bass is a Lull M5V that has the custom wound 60's Duncans. So that does the vintage thing great for me. I'm getting a Jazz deluxe and I'm not sure how much of a "modern" tone these have. I'll give it a test drive but in the meantime I'm exploring pick-up options.

I've done the Sadowsky thing before and while they sound great $405. is a little steep. I'm thinking EMG's but I wanted some feedback on other choices for a more active modern sounding Jazz..

2. I'd try the jazz bass as it is first before deciding to shop out the pickups.

If you are not pleased, EMG's sound fairly "modern" in the sense that... well... if you've heard EMG's in one bass, you've pretty much heard'em in any bass. I'd check out Nordstrand pickups, personally.

3. Fender Vintage Noiseless are a bit more modern, louder, smoother, more low end, good mids, smooth highs. The lows are distinct.

Bartolini's are deep and smooth. They are lower in output than original Fenders and I would suggest an active pre with them.

4. MattMPG

MattMPG Matt Pulcinella Guitars

Apr 6, 2006
    Its a pre-amp that makes pickups sound "modern".

Im a pre-amp dealer so I'll let other guys suggest brands.

Matt Pulcinella
    www.mpguitars.com

5. I am interested in your opinion.

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Jazz Deluxes sound great stock. They are modern and bright for sure, but very musical, with a complex mid content. And the preamp is very versatile.

I have had both the earlier 9v versions with the first-generation noiseless pickups, and the newer-generation, 18V, with SNC pickups, and they are both fantastic.

The pickups are not crystal-clear like single-coils - they are fuller, thicker, and louder...

I really doubt that you could improve the sound of a stock Jazz Deluxe.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nordstrand's do the trick just fine. Mike Lull is using them now too.

-Mike

8. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    You might also check Status Graphite (status-graphite.com)

Rob Green's pickups (he makes replacement 'jazz bass' styles as well) plus his preamps would certainly lean to the modern side.
    You can also run them as passive pickups.

plus they're just GREAT pickups.

9. MattMPG

MattMPG Matt Pulcinella Guitars

Apr 6, 2006
    Tell us who's sound you're going for and I or someone else will tell you how to get there.

To me, modern is edgy and a cutting slap sound. Maybe it means something different to you.

Im older than 25, so to me Marcus Millers Modified 77 Jazz bass in the 80s was the original modern bass sound. Basses didn't commonly have onboard pre amps back then so his slap tone was really different.

If this is the sound you want, get some Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pus and an Aguilar OBP1 on board pre amp.

Matt Pulcinella
    www.mpguitars.com

10. Thanks Matt! I'm gonna check it our stock first but thare are so many cool options that are worth checking out. I appreciate the feedback.

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I have a Smith BSR5J-MW (single coil Jazz type p/ups) and it's "Jazz like" but VERY modern sounding.

Not sure who he gets his pick-ups from or if they wind them themselves, but I think you can order the pre and p/ups from Smith.

12. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    kent armstrong makes a killer jazz pu.