What are some "must haves"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Sep 15, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My wife and I were out to dinner with some friends the other night, and we got to talking about how many things we consider to be a "must have" today were luxury's not too long ago. A recent commercial I heard on the radio from the car maker Infiniti sparked the entire conversation. At the end, it said "blurring the line between need and desire".

This thread is not me complaining, just kind of getting a perspective from y'all too as to what has passed from being a luxury item in the past to a must have nowadays.

The one thing my wife and I agreed on was cable TV. I can remember back to when I was around 10 or so, and mostly rich people had cable TV. Everyone else had antenna's. Now, everyone has it. I don't think cable TV is dramatically cheaper today than it was 16 years ago.

What else have you seen that has followed this trend??

2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm still rockin' the rabbit ears.

I'd probably consider broadband a must-have but just a day or two ago I was thinking how it would probably do me good to not have broadband. However, I do need it for my VoIP at this point.

brad cook
  3. Internet is a must have, I can live on 56K, although Broadband is preferred. Television as long as it got Discovery Channel.
  4. Beat me to it. I think cars in general is a good example of what you're saying too. Maybe even electricity and plumbing? Then again maybe I'm getting carried away. :smug:
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    PM sent to you Brad regarding the above.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    My first thought on this is internet.
    I would rather have internet then tv. I do everything on the net, get my news, pay my bills, make my phone call ect...

Computer would be another one. Well, i need for the internet and also I do all my music pratice with it. I use it as a back up band, metronome, recorder, ect...
  7. Like people here have said, computers, the internet and cell-phones are the big ones.

And Chris, your comment about electricity and plumbing isn't taking it too far at all. These are absolute must haves that are realatively-speaking very modern.
  8. Internet, computers yep, as others...
    For me, I would add an Audi!! :smug:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Your own taste in music.................Oh thats deep.
  11. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I think a car would be the big one for me. I need it to go to work, school, friends, to run errands, etc.etc.etc. Just sux that gas is so darn expensive. I'm glad I drive a 4 banger...yeah it's nice getting 35-40 miles a gallon.

12. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Sadowsky bass
    Mobile Phone
    Cable TV
    A good book
    A naked photo of Brad Cook
  13. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I honestly don't know what I would do without a computer & broadband internet. It's opened my eyes & ears to so many things I wouldn't have had the chance to learn about without it. I've been lucky enough to meet some very cool people via the net.

I guess I could live without it, but I wouldn't be as happy.
  14. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've been a computer geek for 25 years now so I consider a computer one of my requirements. Kinda hard to keep my CS skills fresh if I don't have a computer to work with.
  15. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Computer and iPod.
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Remember, that's just between us.

brad cook
  17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm just glad I'm not between you!
  18. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The internet. I wouldn't have made it through college without it.
  19. oddly I feel different about this. I can go without TV or computers. I HATE CELLPHONES!!!! sorry, I do that much. give me a bass or something to occupy my mind and I am set