Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are some of your choice settings on your Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Aug 22, 2004.

1. hey guys...I just got my Cirrus 6 Redwood (i love it) I'm havin trouble gettin a more aggresive sound out of it....it's just such a smoothe sounding bass....

but aside from that I just wanted to see what some of your personal favorite settings are on your Cirrus when your amp is set flat...

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I tend to set the eq from my amp with basically boosted high mids and start my bass with the eq flat. Maybe I'll boost the bass or treble a touch.

Then between songs I'll adjust the onboard eq further depending on what kind of sound I'm after. Sometimes I crank the treble all the way to get more bite. I never mess with the pickups, I leave that center. I should probably experiment more with the pickup blend but it just sounds great centered.

3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    When I slap I put Bass and Treble at 10 and Mids at 5.
    Almost never touch the blend.
    If I want a more growly or agressive fingerstlye sound, I tend to boost the mids and place my right hand closer to the bridge pickup.
    To get a full, warm sound, I pan the pickups to the neck, with Bass at 10 and pick in the center or closer to the neck.

As you can see, I´ve found that right hand placing makes an important difference in this bass coz VFL pickups are really sensitive.
    I´d suggest you to try this before tweaking knobs too much.

Hope it helps

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As Papersen said, a big key to getting a different tone on the Cirrus is where you pluck the strings. I find that plucking right in front of the bridge pickup gives a very biting tone that really cuts through.

I also solo the bridge pickup, boost the lows about 10%, the mids about 30%, and the highs about 80%, for a real nasty heavy rock tone.

5. the Cirrus has a lot of tone in it but they do take some fiddling with to find the *one* your looking for.

for a real biting fingerstyle tone I like to put the blend toward the bridge pickup, boost the bass and cut the mids a little.

the neck pickup solo has a more aggressive tone, with everything boosted you get a real nasty rock tone, and you can ease it off by blending back toward the bridge pickup as needed.

also where you play it, more towards the neck gives you more beef and more towards the bridge gives you more treble/attack.

also, once you get it figured in with your amp eq and stuff the bass set flat with both pickups has a awesome naturally smooth tone.

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Glad you like the Cirrus :hyper: Anyway, I usually like the pickup blend centered and make adjustments with the EQ, though I found hand placement played a good deal into it. The more you mess with it you will be surprised at the variety of tones you can get from it. I am usually going for a Nathan East type tone, (which in my opinion is smooth) so I usually roll up a tad on the bass and back a little on the mids and treble.

7. i usually set it flat and use my right hand. i also have found the quadrumatrix switch on my warwick quadruplet to be exceptionally useful in changing my tones for different sounds.

that said, two of my favorite tones on the preamp are rolling the blend all the way to bridge and boosting the bass for a very full, yet still nasal, tone. sometimes i roll the mid frequency up and boost the mids with that.

i also like to roll the blend all the way to the neck and cut the treble and high mids. i can boost the bass on that if i want. think really thick pbass.

robb.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1

On all of the sound clips I've posted in the past, all but one track on one clip was done with all EQ set flat on the bass, with pickup balance in the middle. I use EQ in the recording software and live on my amp as well, but nothing extreme in the settings... live I run bass and treble flat on my amp, with just some gentle mid-shaping and some of the SWR's aural enhancer.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The most I usually ever did with mine was boost the bass a bit for certain songs, other than that, it was all about right hand placement. That itself made a BIG difference in the sounds that I could get from it.