What are some RnB standards w/female singer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basss, Nov 23, 2003.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I have a new years gig with a female RnB singer. I don't know what tunes she does - apparently she is just going to call tunes. It will be a jazz/RnB vibe more than a rock thing. What are some RnB standards that I should know?
    Some tunes I do know that I think will be called are
    Feel Like Makin Love (the one that Roberta Flack sang)
    Rock Steady
    I will Survive
    Killing me softly with his song
    Have any suggestions along those lines? thanks!
  2. Anything by Bonnie Raitt.

3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Thanks Any tunes in particular? I thought she was more country (excuse my ignorance).
  4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I think that was a joke.

Unless you have a boat load of R&B tunes in your head you better have a talk with the singer and find out what's on her list at the very least. There should be a set list.
  5. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    RESPECT - Aretha Franklin
    Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin
    Son of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
    River Deep Mountain High - Ike & Tina Turner
  6. Harwedereyet

Apr 21, 2003
    Heard it through the Grapevine
    When a man loves a woman
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMO, Bonnie Raitt is closer to R&B than Country...actually, a tune like "Something To Talk About" could go over in either a New Country bar OR an R&B bar.
    (Been there, done that).

BTW, is this old skool R&B(Aretha, Gladys Knight, Betty Knight, Motown/Stax, etc) or the newer stuff?

If it's a gig where a tune is called off(no 'set' set list)...
    Hopefully, you'll have at least a couple of rehearsals to at least get the KEY & the FEEL of the tunes; you may be able to get by if the tunes stay within strict R&B changes.
  8. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Street life - Randy Crawford/The crusaders <-good bassline
    Lady Marmalade - Patti Labelle
  9. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Thanks all for the replies so far. The gig will be pretty relaxed. We will basically be background music in a country club type place. Rehearsals are out of the question for this gig although I might be able to contact the singer and find out some of the tunes she does. We will also be doing some jazz standards which I have covered pretty well. A lot of the RnB stuff I have heard before but never played. The style is definitely more old skoo than the newer stuff. I just want to make sure I have some of the obvious super standard old school smooth RnB tunes in my back pocket.
  10. It's not like a blues or country gig where you can wing it, you need a reasonable knowledge of the stuff, so a good idea to try and find out what numbers are likly to be called.