Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are some RnB standards w/female singer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basss, Nov 23, 2003.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I have a new years gig with a female RnB singer. I don't know what tunes she does - apparently she is just going to call tunes. It will be a jazz/RnB vibe more than a rock thing. What are some RnB standards that I should know?
    Some tunes I do know that I think will be called are
    Feel Like Makin Love (the one that Roberta Flack sang)
    Rock Steady
    I will Survive
    Killing me softly with his song
    Have any suggestions along those lines? thanks!

2. Anything by Bonnie Raitt.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks Any tunes in particular? I thought she was more country (excuse my ignorance).

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I think that was a joke.

Unless you have a boat load of R&B tunes in your head you better have a talk with the singer and find out what's on her list at the very least. There should be a set list.

5. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    RESPECT - Aretha Franklin
    Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin
    Son of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
    River Deep Mountain High - Ike & Tina Turner

6. Harwedereyet

Harwedereyet

Apr 21, 2003
    Respect
    Heard it through the Grapevine
    When a man loves a woman

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    IMO, Bonnie Raitt is closer to R&B than Country...actually, a tune like "Something To Talk About" could go over in either a New Country bar OR an R&B bar.
    (Been there, done that).

BTW, is this old skool R&B(Aretha, Gladys Knight, Betty Knight, Motown/Stax, etc) or the newer stuff?

And-
    If it's a gig where a tune is called off(no 'set' set list)...
    Hopefully, you'll have at least a couple of rehearsals to at least get the KEY & the FEEL of the tunes; you may be able to get by if the tunes stay within strict R&B changes.

8. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Street life - Randy Crawford/The crusaders <-good bassline
    Lady Marmalade - Patti Labelle

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks all for the replies so far. The gig will be pretty relaxed. We will basically be background music in a country club type place. Rehearsals are out of the question for this gig although I might be able to contact the singer and find out some of the tunes she does. We will also be doing some jazz standards which I have covered pretty well. A lot of the RnB stuff I have heard before but never played. The style is definitely more old skoo than the newer stuff. I just want to make sure I have some of the obvious super standard old school smooth RnB tunes in my back pocket.

10. It's not like a blues or country gig where you can wing it, you need a reasonable knowledge of the stuff, so a good idea to try and find out what numbers are likly to be called.