1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are sweeps comprised of? How to make sweeps for 4-5-6 string?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sergius Durante, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Sergius Durante

Sergius Durante

May 21, 2019
    How are sweeps created? How would I make them for 6 string bass from a scale? I want to implement them into my playing, and want to understand them beyond just a pattern, yet no matter where I go I don’t get my answer

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Uhm, this is the Double Bass area of TalkBass. There are not too many 6 string double basses. Some 5-strings.

Did you mean this to be in the Bass Guitar area?

3. Sergius Durante

Sergius Durante

May 21, 2019
    Ooof I meant to select something else, mobile sucks sorry

dhergert likes this.
  4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    No problem we're used to it. Welcome to the dark side!

5. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Now I'm curious - what's a sweep?

Turns out to be fast arpeggio.

@Sergius Durante, in the video I found, the person is only using _three_ of the strings on his four string bass. He mentions that, although he demonstrates it using the strings 3, 2 and 1, you could also use the same pattern on strings 4, 3 and 2.

So you make them from a chord, not a scale.

You learn something new every day - sweep.

-S-

6. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    It gets the name from using a plectrum in a swing motion.

7. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Respectfully disagree, see "Give a person a fish ..." Better to learn - I think the video I linked does a fine job - what this is and how to roll your own.

-S-

Seashore likes this.
  8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones

Ekulati and Steve Freides like this.
  9. Sergius Durante

Sergius Durante

May 21, 2019
    True, however I think Im gonna need to go to finger gym before I try doing metal bass sweeps... and that is already murderous

10. ChrisBowsman

ChrisBowsman Gold Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Agree with the sentiment, but I think initially copying a successful fisherman is a proven first step in learning to fish.

Sergius Durante likes this.
  11. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Respectfully disagree. As a teacher, I don't give anyone the task of figuring out how to copy a performance. I do hope that what I teach them gives them the tools to do this on their own when they're ready. You wouldn't tell someone trying to learn how to swim, "Here's a video of a swim meet, just do what you see them doing."

-S-

GreyMark and ChrisBowsman like this.
  12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Sweeps are often done on guitar with a raking technique. See articles with attached videos:
    What Are Sweep Arpeggios and How to Master Them
    How to Play Sweeping Arpeggios on Guitar – Soundfly

Extended bass sweep using hammer ons and pull offs.

13. ChrisBowsman

ChrisBowsman Gold Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Point taken :)

14. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    sweeps can be any combination of notes but usually they are done as an arpeggio of a particular chord.....for example, a sweep for C Maj7 would usually comprise the notes that make up that chord C-E-G-B and you would repeat those up or down each octave.....sweeps do not have to be fast but, because accuracy in delivery is what makes them stand-out, they are usually executed with speed for most applications and require adjustments in technique to do them with speed and accuracy (like raking).

They are used as a texture, often as a "lead-in" to a more melodic part in a solo, and as a display of prowess to your peers when trying to earn the Yngwie award by wearing a Sgt Pepper jacket with fringe while you perform them.........

15. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I had one occasion to employ sweep picking on the 6 string bass . . . . link below. Fast forward to 1:28 if the link does not do it for you . . .

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  16. Sergius Durante

Sergius Durante

May 21, 2019
    Haha You have the same carvin bass as me (well it’s also a six string carvin but I think it’s a early 2004 with the humbucker and passive/active and coil split).

17. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Mine's a 1992! First year for the LB76. Up until last December it was all original (H50N humbuckers with A500 active preamp). Nowadays it's sporting J99A single coil passive pickups with a series/parallel switch. Sounds so much better!

18. Sergius Durante

Sergius Durante

May 21, 2019
    Ahh, so choosing chords would be better than my stupid method

my stupid method: Select a scale and what key it will be in, and basically the other two notes are whatever i pick that arent the root (which will be the first if this arpeggio will be shorter and easier), and try to create a sweep from that (this example being in focus of three notes)

Would chords be easier to construct them from?

19. Sergius Durante

Sergius Durante

May 21, 2019
    Haha, great to hear. Mine’s an 04, I love it, and am enjoying the wiser tonal variety, making melodies and even being the back up for my guitar player at times feels good provided I can make the stretches and speed :)

20. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    There is a lot in this video that you can ignore, as it does not apply to bass guitar, but Frank's advice about how many notes per string to play, and how to turn your pick direction around is very applicable to what you may be trying to do. Basically, you play an odd number of notes on each string (1 or 3), going up, or down, until you want to change direction: at that point, you play just 2 notes on the string. That sets you up to turn around and go the other way.

Take about 5 minutes to watch this section on how to play through a pentatonic pattern in this odd/even pattern. The tuning of the guitar makes it a little different from bass, but if you can master the concept, you'll be able to do things with a pick that allow you to keep up with your guitarist.

I employed this odd/even concept of Frank's in my cover (above) of "99 Flavors". In concert, John Patitucci played the lick with fingers, but of course, he had all day, every day to practice, and then perform in a gig each night, while on tour. I don't have that luxury, and I didn't want to spend two months on pre-production getting my chops in shape to play that lick with fingers, when I could just work it up with a pick and sweep-pick it in about 2 hours of practicing . . . good luck!