What are the 3 bass guitars most similar in sound to a double bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyberprimate, Mar 6, 2010.

1. IMO, even the clip of my fretted Rob Allen (again, the least DB sounding of the Allens) with me playing it (I am not a DB player and do not approach the instrument in that way) sounds extremely open, woody, and bloomy in the low notes and has that 'wire on wood' sounding upper range response, and that low end note swell and quick decay (again, not as much on the fretted model, but it is there).

Again, I agree, nothing sounds like a DB other than a DB (although again, most DB's with those Gage pickups sound more like PBasses to me in a mix!), and listening to a solo clip magnifies the differences more than in 'real life'. Still, quite amazing how 'acoustic' these instruments sound IMO.

2. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    Again, I say this is as close as I've heard, sans the string noise...

http://nitkin.com/MP3/ballad-marco.mp3

Through some tapewounds on and you're in business...even over the vaunted Rob Allens...

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    The closest I've heard yet...

4. There you go... that sounds great IMO. IMO you really need that kind of 'short scale open low end bloom with piezo and some chambering' to really vibe that 'give and bloom and swell and decay' of a DB to at least some degree.

5. That sounds darn good also, and the dicey intonation in the upper register playing brings to mind many DB solo's in the upper register... even by world class players. That's a great example IMO of an instrument that doesn't quite get the vibe, but the approach of the player really making your ear 'hear' a DB. Nice!

6. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    Nitkin's a TBer! A nice guy, as well.

7. Nice clip, nice tone.

And again, I don't think anyone is saying any little EB will 'replace' a DB, but are more responding in the spirit of 'is there anything that can get close to that sort of organic, bloomy tone for situations where either a player does not want to deal with schlepping a DB, or a musical context that isn't 'DB necessary'... i.e., doing small group hard bop in a listening/concert situation with other purely acoustic instruments, etc.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, but the topic is what is most "similar" to a double bass.

Yep.

How you play is very important.

I got a nice "uprightish" tone from my round wound fretted 5 last weekend. If I had a fretless it would have been better as I could have "played" it even more like an upright.

tone universe. I like that.

I think that is a nice clip as well. I am currently trying a friends WAV but that neck is so fat and thick. I may be looking at something like a RA for my "jazz standards" needs.

9. Rob Allen has the one on his website and there's the Mouse 30 clip on youtube. I wish I had an active band where I could record and post something, but not many bands that would be willing to utilize that vibe, plus I spend 99% of my time biking these days.....

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yes that sounds pretty good - more what I would have been expecting - what bass is that?

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Sorry - to me that again sounds nothing like DB and I would go with Lincoln's link (nitkin?) as being 100 times more convincing!

12. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
  13. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    The problem with making an electric bass sound like an upright is that the upright has a longer string length, a bigger body, f holes... so many differences from electric bass. Electric bass string lengths range from about 34-35'' for the average bass. Uprights are anywhere from about 39-42'', depending on the size. Also, upright pizzicato is usually played with your fingers touching the fingerboard. On electric bass, your fingers touch the strings over the body.

Adding "bass" to your electric bass tone won't make it sound deeper and project like an upright, it'll just make it sound muddy eventually..

14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Werd, I didn't know that was a Marco! Here are some more pics of the one I had. I got it from Marcus Miller, who had two, and there was probably a reason he kept one.

Marco2.jpg
    Marco3.jpg

Feedback city tho.

15. I think the whole reasonong of Rob's center block was to avoid that. I'd imagine a lack thereof might sound cooler, but I can live with how well they behave live.

16. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    Do you still have it?

17. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I totally prefer a RA, even tho the Marco's tone definitely wins in getting closer.

I sold it to Bassinstincts, who sold it up here about a year ago. I contacted the maker, he said it cost about 3200 euros. He also wanted the Bass Player issue were Marcus had his headless Marco featured, so I got him a copy.

18. I wish I could A/B one with my MB2 6er. The Deep 2 band EQ has given my 6er a significant edge on my Mouse 30, which surprised me. Too bad it arrived after I had to put music on the back burner.

19. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron

Joachin quoted me at 1800 euros plus tax and shipping.... Marcus' must have had some custom features...!

20. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    you mean vs the marco? I've owned a mouse, a few mb2s, and a deep 5 right now. Owned being a slightly subjective term ;)

The marco is closer to what my kay sounds like plugged up, I really think it's the bridge construction among other things.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021