What are the 3 bass guitars most similar in sound to a double bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyberprimate, Mar 6, 2010.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I wonder if that was for the headless or not? But also, if you asked recently, he might be out of the R&D phase of it all, I think I had emailed him 4-6 years ago about all of this.

2. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    his quote was as of a few days ago...

How was this constructed on the inside? Was it a set neck or bolt on?

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Wow - those basses look amazing and if I had heard one, I think I might not have bought the EUB I did - although I always like to try basses before buying..?

Thanks for the details and info - very interesting to see how this area has progressed ...:)

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Bolt on neck, and the woods on the sides and back looked realy nice so there might have been a premium on that as well. I don't think there was a center block on it.

I'll have to see if I have more pics of it when I get home, it was pretty amazing, but I had to remember where to set the volume as it would be a fine line between sounding great and howling like a rabid dog. But I probably should have used something like the fishman platinum plus, which really does help out with the piezo pup instruments.

Also, the website shows a metal tailpiece, mine was carved ebony.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

This is true. I think some of the "nothing sounds like an upright" argument goes away once you put a pickup on it. In a true acoustic (no amp) setting there's no way anything can substitute, but once you put electronics in the mix, and get in a real life setting, I think a lot of things can get "close enough" for those of us who want to be in that "tonal universe" but can't use/play and upright for whatever reason. My friends fretless P with flats sounds pretty nice.

I am trying to build up my chops again on a friends WAV EUB. So far I am remembering why I don't have one of these. My hands are dying - and I come from a classical/upright background. I think I may be looking for a "substitute" of some kind - something along the lines of a Rob Allen.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I am now convinced that the Marco Acoustic Bass is the clear winner !

7. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron

yup!

8. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Fretless Rickenbacker with the mute engaged, using only the neck pickup. Even a fretted sounds pretty close.

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I wish he'd have recordings of the same player play all the different basses in a similar style and that would give a better comparison b/w the basses.

10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.

Boy I hate when the audience starts clapping with the music.

11. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
  12. My first guess would be flat wounds , fretless neck and hollowbody , but i bet i'm wrong.

13. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
  14. That would be nice, especially if he'd have the same guy play a Mouse 30, Mouse 30f, MB2, Deep 4-5, etc. I'm not saying it would never happen, but generally speaking, Rob seems pretty busy with his craft at the moment. After dealing with several luthiers, I'm under the impression that most would prefer not dealing with websites and building a LOT.

15. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    So in response to the OP, the three most "DB-ish" electric basses would be the Marco, Hotwire DB and the RA in that order (IMO). And I do agree, in a live setting the general vibe of these three basses would be close enough tonally.

Nice discussion here, the first one on this subject with some real meat to it (for a change ;))
    :cool:

16. +1 They all sound great, and with the right player, approaching the instrument as if it were a DB regarding phrasing and even finger position, etc., any of them in a mix would sound great as a DB substitute for anything other than very traditional jazz in a small group setting in a listening environment.

IMO!

17. Bruce Lindfield

I would like to hear more of the hot wire - the clips were very short....although it reminded me a bit of Alphonso Johnson with Weather Report on "Cucumber Slumber" - so there is a case of BG being used in exactly the way that Double Bass would be normally and doing the job very well!! ;)

It's on the Mysterious Traveller album.

18. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Double bass does not have one single sound. I crack up when people say stuff like "stick a piece of foam under the strings to get an upright tone." What? If I play a Bb on my upright it sustains for a week.

I agree with what other people said. It's not about trying to sound like an upright, it's about playing differently. It's not the bass, it's the player.

I had a turner ren--great bass, sounded nothing like an upright, but it had a different vibe and it demanded a different style of playing.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I never understood that - no, it doesn't make it sound like a Double Bass - it makes it sound like somebody palm-muting a bass guitar!

That's the point though - the sound "envelope" of the Double Bass is completely different and it has that natural sustain and attack of an acoustic instrument, which sounds right to our ears.

Whereas Bass Guitar has unnatural sustain which is annoying to our ears - so people are always going on here, about : "how can I stop the strings ringing when I play a note ?" and muting becomes a big issue for BG technique - whereas on Double Bass, it is never an issue!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021