What are the 3 bass guitars most similar in sound to a double bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyberprimate, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Here is a much better recording of my Mouse. Again, fretted... so it is never going to get that close. The fretless version played in a 'DB mindset' with correct EQ of course gets much closer.

However, this sounds pretty darn good to me... organic, warm and woody!

http://www.youtube.com/Kjungbass#p/a/u/0/jpB4P5HllVY

2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  3. cyberprimate

cyberprimate

Mar 6, 2010
    I'm glad my original question is generating so much food for thought. :)

What I have gathered so far is that the right directions are : flatwounds, long scale fretless neck, piezo, semi-hollow body against excessive sustain, and finally an appropriate way of playing.

In the current top 3 (Marco, Hotwire and Rob Allen), my preference goes to the Hotwire as I like having the option of a conventional electric pickup, plus the classy Fender look.

Currently I play an '84 Precision with TI flatwounds and I'll go fretless very soon. Is there a piezo pickup design that would get my P-bass close to the Hotwire DB without changing its look?

4. fender mustang bass with the tone off usually works
    epi jack cassedy id agree with again
    id say tho the epiphone rivoli

5. cyberprimate

cyberprimate

Mar 6, 2010
    I think the acoustic sound of fingers and strings on the neck is interesting as well in the context of a studio recording.

Here for instance, the sound of this bass is recorded only with a computer camera condenser mic (i emailed the poster of that video to know, he didn't use the piezo pickup only the front one) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6cllrjWLM

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Doesn't sound like DB, I'm afraid - it has the classic fretless BG sound to the fore and is immediately recognisable, as such.

I think the Rob Allen basses are disguising this and hiding the fretless BG nature that comes out more in this bass.

But neither really sound like DB to me - whereas the Marco has a lot more of the fundamental tone required and doesn't hide behind a dull EQ.

Double Bass is not just a dull-sounding BG - you can have a very bright and sustaining Double Bass, that still sounds distinctively like a Double Bass!

Try this video :

7. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Never miss an opportunity to revisit this:

8. Hiya,

I'll put in my 2 cents. I remember the first series Lane Poor Minima's came very close to a DB. The first series didn't use pickups or pizio, they used a system where the strings were the moving coil and it used a combination of bar magnets in the body and the Earths magnetic field. Since every part of each string generated an electrical signal when it vibrated, much like the body of a DB resonates from every vibration on every string, it had that combination of lows, higs and sustain.

It also had Lane's concept of minimal metal in the sound path and used ebony for the nut, bridge and bridge anchor.

9. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    All these links to things that are supposed to be DBish are funny. So much mwah and fartyness.

10. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    I gotta say you sound really nice. Very believable swing feel for EBG. I can still hear the pickup for sure, but I think you sell it better than a lot of what I've heard

11. cyberprimate

cyberprimate

Mar 6, 2010
    I agree! Never been a fan of these tremolo farts. My idea of good DB sound is more like this :

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

I suggest that the OP search to see what others have opined. I might quote myself from this older thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592422

I might add that the electric upright bass is a reasonable substitute for double bass in all the above discussion.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That should be titled :

"What is the worst sound I can get out of a bass guitar!!?? "

;)

Subtitled - and the award for most unappealing video....:eyebrow:

14. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Ashbury 1+

15. dude you can get any sound you want out of a jazz bass! just get a jazz you'll never need another bass:hyper:

16. The Jazz is pretty far from an upright sound. A P w/flats and mutes at the bridge is a lot closer.

17. it was sarcastic

18. LOL, please clarify during post. There are people who really think this. I keed you not!

19. PierBea

PierBea

Jan 24, 2013
    Genoa, Italy
    Hi, there.
    Sorry to revive an old thread (which has received a lot of discussion time in its days, too), but I'm curious about something.
    One instrument was brought up in the discussion and never commented much (i.e., it didn't make the top three, so to speak, but without an apparent reason): it's the Takamine TB10.
    Just for reference, here are its specs ...
    http://www.takamine.com/guitars/bass_guitars/tb10
    ... and here is a clip that sounds rather convincing to my profane ear
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fn5cGelK0GU
    [I realize the guy in the clip is playing it in a standing position, which probably helps his right-hand plucking and what-not, but do keep in mind that this is a 34"-scale instrument that can be played on one's legs like a guitar]
    In short, what I'm asking is:
    How do you think its sound compares with a DB's?
    How do you think its sound compares with a Rob Allen's or a Marcus'?

Again, sorry for bringing up and old thread and thank you for your thoughts on this.
    Ciao.

20. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    If your idea of an upright is a piezo pickup providing all the sound, then he kind of sounds like an upright. He's a good player and plays that thing well, but to me it sounds like a badly amped upright, all piezo and no acoustic tone.

I do a lot of doubling, just local gigs, but I've been gigging with the double bass, mostly, for half a decade. It's not much like an electric bass. The entire feel and approach is different-- the attack, the sustain, the relationship of your hands to tone; it's just all different. I find the double bass about ten times harder, and it's a pain to lug around and pain to amplify, but I love it. It's a unique sound and you can't really get it without the bass itself and the approach that you have to learn to get the most out of the bass.

I'll bet that guy in the clip you posted has logged some hours on the double bass though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021