Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are the ashtrays for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by E=Fb, Feb 19, 2006.

1. E=Fb

E=Fb Guest

Jan 28, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    The fender jazz bass is a masterpiece of design simplicity, so what purpose do those huge chrome "ashtrays" serve?
    Thanks

2. i think they'd be pretty good insence holders.... :bag:

3. Pure Visual Aesthetics... In My Opinion At Least... But Then Again, I Capitalized Every Word In This Post Too...

...I Also Used A Total of Four Elipses In This Post...

(Make That Five)

-ryan-

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They protect your bass exactly the same way that aluminum foil hat you wear protects your brain from those messages beamed at you by the aliens who have replaced our government.

5. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    Not too sure, but I think before they used to protect the pickups from some interference or something but now its for aesthetics.

6. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    They're ashtrays. Take 'em off before a gig, set one on your amp and one on your guitarist's vintage Gibson, and you're good to go. Of course, nobody really uses them. It took Fender forever to realize we just throw our cigarette butts on the stage or at the drummer.

;) :rolleyes: :bag:

7. hahaha, i used to aim for the bathrooms next to the stage when we played, but now i just put em in empty cups

8. Except that mythbusters did a study that showed that aluminum foil actually COLLECTS radio frequencies in the higher UHF frequencies, which is dedicated for military use. So those foil hats actually HELP the government read your thoughts.:eek::eek::eek:

Rock on
    Eric

9. I found that no matter what anyone says about anything... As long as you put "The MythBusters did a test on.." and end with "They said it's true." People will believe you. Not taking a stab at you, just making a completely off topic observation. Try it out at work this week, see how many people you fool. It's quite fun actually!

-ryan-

10. I take it with a grain of salt. I just thought it was really funny. Kind of adds a whole new dimension to the vast anti-government conspiracy theory, doesn't it?

Rock on
    Eric

11. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I had heard them referred to as "Funk Filters".

12. the ones that went over the bridge on the early ones held the sponge bits that muted the strings for that double bass sound

13. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    they are a spill over from the big band days...they stopped your cufflinks from getting caught in the saddles!! serious.