1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are the Best American Made Value Cabs these days?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SgtHulka, Jan 15, 2021.

1. SgtHulka

SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    I'm only running with a single Aguilar 112 cab these days and I am excited about the prospect of returning to the gig world regularly fairly soon and have been considering redoing my rig all together. I think I'm going to go to the 2, 2 x 10 route. 1 for small stuff, 2 for bigger gigs or in rehearsal room.

Anyway, as much as I like high-end gear I try to stay value-oriented and not pay double for minor diminishing returns. Especially considering resale value. I want to buy American made. Normally I buy used, but I have a little extra money right now for a new set up. I would likely be selling my pre Korg Aggie cab once new rig is in hand.

What are some of the best values in American cabs these days? They don't have to be light although they shouldn't be overly heavy, and a tidy form factor would be cool.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I would say AudioKinesis cabs are by far the best bang for the buck, but they are hard to get and Duke is currently not taking new orders.

Of readily available cabs, Mesa Subways are the best value out there for what you get. Sure you can certainly get a cheaper cab, but not a better value.

Jesuguru, Real Soon, Ric Vice and 7 others like this.
  3. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Knowing more about the kind of sound you want and the kind of music you play might get you better suggestions for your purposes, but generally speaking and in addition to the fine recommendations above, Schroeder seems like great bang for the buck.

RSBBass and SgtHulka like this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I've been really happy with the BBC Tank for compact but deep and loud and light. RevSound also makes some very nice small cabs.

eriky4003 and SgtHulka like this.
  5. SgtHulka

SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    Good idea...looking for massive low end... Play a lot of reggae and funk, deep fingerstyle. Organic tone. I've been considering ampeg but I know some of their stuff is made in China. Definitely not looking for modern.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Mesa Subways IMO... I play reggae, finger style funk, and pick driven metal, and the Subways do it all.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yes Ampeg cabs are mainly made in China which Chinese made speakers. RevSound also uses Chinese made speakers. Mesa Subway cabs are USA made with speakers made in the USA or Italy depending on the model.

SgtHulka likes this.
  8. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Maybe AVATAR cabs. Very reasonably priced and I think made in the USA.

9. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    I believe GK still makes their cabinets in the USA, and they're fairly reasonably priced as professional gear goes.

10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I’m a long time customer of Bag End. There’s a thread here dedicated to this brand. Made In Chicago, USA. They make powered and passive cabs. They also have a birch natural cabinet line and have available ceramic or neo drivers.
    393FB2F4-CBF2-49D2-B501-6C1D538D5324.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  11. SgtHulka

SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    I was looking at them I think the 210 cab is about 475 or so and you can order custom colors so that's pretty cool... And they use good speakers also. That could definitely be on my shortlist

12. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Genzler. The BA 10-2 is about 650 and weighs 21lbs. Uses Eminence.

Also consider Raezers Edge. Built in the USA using USA Eminence drivers, one of the big reasons I buy cabs with Eminence drivers.

whodom and SgtHulka like this.
  13. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Yes, a friend of mine has two AVATAR 2x10" cabinets and I think they sound great. He used an EDEN WT550 head and now a GB STREAMLINER 900. Cabs sounded real good with either head.

shoot-r and SgtHulka like this.
  14. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Also look at REVSOUND.. he is in New England area and makes really nice cabs and is a good guy. Great value.
    1E3469AE-68BF-4846-A6D6-4B85DEF194F3.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  15. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Don’t forget Bergantino.

16. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    I'll second the Genzler BA Series. The bass array makes projection from these cabinets remarkable. Genzler offers everything from a single 10" with 4x2.5" mids to a 4x10 with 8x3" Faital speakers. Their BA15-3 with a Faital 15" and 4x3" mids is supposed to be in a class by itself. Personally, I have a BA12-3 with a 12 Faital and 4x3" Faital mids and I couldn't be happier.

0007_GENZLER_111319_0014.jpg

RColie, MAXSPINRUN and SgtHulka like this.
  17. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I think you're 210 x 2 is a good choice. I've had a lot of cabs and still have more than I need, but my two go-to cabs are the DNS-210 and the DNS-410 by DNA (David Nordschow Amplification). DNA is the company David formed after he sold and left Eden. I bought the DNS-410 in 2015 and love it. But I kept being told "NO" whenever I took it into a small venue and invariably had to use whatever their small backline bass amp was. So I bought a real lightweight Eden set-up that was perfect for this small brew pub that we played on most Friday evenings. Then in 2019 I was accepted into the DNA Endorsing Artist Group and I bought my DNS-210 for small and medium venues.

I bought it because nobody looks at you twice when you bring in a 210 cab and it reputedly had the same sonic characteristics that my 410 had plus it could get very loud. First time I gigged was at an "almost large" venue and I wasn't sure if the 210 would be enough. So I brought my 410 with me and stacked the 210 on top. It was more than enough and is now the only cab I'll use on any indoor venue. The cab will handle 700-watts rms both mechanically and thermally and will produce a maximum SPL of 134db. That above the threshold of pain. It can do that while still being the clearest, cleanest, most articulate sound you've ever heard as well as a very tight and low bottom end. Those are the features I also love in my DNS-410, which is now reserved for outdoor shows and Festivals only.

I run my Eden WT500/800 amp through it and I run it bridged at 800-watts. Yes that's more watts than the speakers can actually handle, but I never come anywhere near that maximum. I typically play it with my master set at 9:30 or 10 o'clock indoors. It doesn't take a lot of watts to play at gig level with it. So I'd highly recommend that DNS-210 cab by DNA Street price varies between ~$869 and $949 and just has great sound. It weighs 52-lbs.

Below is a shot of it stacked on top of my DNS-410 at that first gig I played with it. Never did plug in the DNS-410, and I still had to push it over to the left and up towards the front of this corner stage. I had my master set at 10 o'clock and walked the perimeter of the club while we were doing the sound check. It sounded clear and nicely balanced throughout. But when I got back on stage I was too close to that cab and it was too close to my ears. Moving it as far stage left as I could and pushing up a little towards the front of the stage got my ears out of its 60° cone of dispersion and it no longer hurt my ears.

414353570.jpg

18. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    IMO as you already have a great cab, the best value rig would be the addition of another Aguilar 112.

drumwagon, Tommyc, Playbyear and 7 others like this.
  19. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Ive slowly switched over to a made in US signal chain;
    Amp: Mesa and/or GK - as others have said, are two great brands with lots of options.
    Bass: Fender or Ernie Ball made in USA models
    Cables: Rattlesnake Cable Co - Small family owned from Montana, USA sourced wire.

I do however have a Diamond compressor...from our friends in the Great White North:)

bdplaid and SwitchGear like this.
  20. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    I second Genzler. I have the BA 15-3 and it is the best 15 I have ever heard IMHO. LIGHT WEIGHT and footprint is not too big. Low end is deep and tight without being muddy. Very happy with this cab. 533D4973-EFD8-48C2-8A42-0805AC45CB27.jpeg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021