1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are the best cabs to pair with my Mesa 400 + all tube head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DAcat, Jan 19, 2013.

1. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I have now had my Mesa 400+ head for about a year and I really love it, but I really have'nt experimented much with cab combinations. I have a GB Uber 410 (4ohms) as well as 2 Earcandy BassBomb 212 cabs (4 0hms each).I have considered getting either a pair of Mesa 212 cabs or 410 cabs, but out here in the Boonies of Iowa there is'nt much opportunity to try out Mesa gear. But I'm curious to hear from other Mesa 400+ lovers... what are your choices for the best cabs to pair with my Mesa 400 + all tube head...Peace...DAcat :cool:

2. Depends on what kind of tone you want out of it.

For my tastes I would go with a Greenboy Dually.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Mesa 2x15 is a popular choice around here and I've had a few different friends that have used 400 or 400+ amps through some variety of 2x15 to good effect. One of those guys also used his through an SWR Henry 8x8, which was one of the punchiest gritty bass tones I've ever heard. Mine was thunderous through my NV6x10 or an Ampeg 8x10, though I never particularly loved it through smaller cabs (same goes for most high-wattage tube heads for me though).

I'd bet the Greenboy Dually couldn't be a bad pairing with a 400+, and wish those cabs had been around when I had mine!

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My 400+ has sounded really good through just about any cab I've played it through...with the exception of the Hartke HyDrive, which seemed to overexert its speakers whenever I'd plug a tube amp into it. :( Otherwise great sounding cab, though.

I've been using mine with Berg AE410s for the past year and I find that they're an incredible pairing. The Berg's are super efficient, so you can get a lot of volume while keeping the Master relatively low.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Find an old Mesa Deisel 215, with the original EV spkrs. Match made in heaven.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    I used to love a pair of 1x15 Mesa Road Ready cabs with the 400 watt EV15L speakers in them. Two of those with a 400 plus will pummel.

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Yep, get bored with that add another...

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    For me, I'd want a Berg NV610.

9. mournblade

mournblade

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    Mesa 2x15 or 4x12, especially the 2x15.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i remember being blown away by that head into its matching EV-loaded 2x15 cab.

tube bass amps supposedly do better into sealed cabs due to the way the speaker loading affects the impedance, but that combo kicked butt.

11. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    This was like 80 years ago, but I ran a 400+ thru 2 15" EVL's and thought it was about as good as anything I'd ever heard. Was it? Not, sure, but that's how I remember it.

A customer of ours runs a 400+ with a Faital loaded Dually and swears it's the ultimate...I should be hearing that stack for myself very soon...looking forward to it :)

12. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    My fav cab for the 400+ is the fEARful 66 with a BMS horn driver - the 400+ loves dual woofs as it has a very tight low end that can utilize large LF capability if the cab has it and the 400+ can make very crisp mids even when driven to fairly tooby bloominess that the dual 18sound mids in the 66 just gobble up and spit right back out. If this head actually made 400 watts it would probably be my main rig.

13. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I've heard so many amps sound great thru that cab, it's silly :)

I'll be testing a 400+ thru a Dually, a FEARLESS F215 and F115 and F112 fairly soon...one of my all time favorite amps

14. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I'm really interested in what that would sound like...however is that cab efficient enough to get the makimum effect from this head. Also...Approximately howmuch does the Fearless F215 cost...Thanks Peace...DAcat :cool:

15. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
  16. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I have'nt used 2-15's since using a couple Fender Dual Showman amps with 2-15 cabs back in the late 60's...but my interest is peaking after what others have said about the Mesa cabs here as well as the fEARful design cabs with 15's here...I have used 10's and 12's...maybe it's time to try 15'' speakers again. Thanks every one for all the input. Peace...DAcat :cool:

17. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    The dual woof GB cabs are a whole 'nother universe compared to a Dual Showman.... so try before you buy.... greenboy's forum has a user map at the bottom of the page - most folks in the fEARful community will let you take a run for a couple of coldbeers.

http://greenboy.us/forum/index.php

18. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    A true classic among classics in & of itself.

And when you figure in price, I r-e-a-l-l-y don't know if it gets any better than the 400+. Maybe as good, but better?

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 My faves are either my old Diesel 2x15EV, or else the mighty Bergantino NV610 (though the NV215 and NV412 also kick butt with this head).

20. mournblade

mournblade

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    I run a Mesa 4x12 and a 2x15 off my Titan V12 and it is almost orgasmic how good it sounds! :hyper:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021