What are the best music covers that are better than the original?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JonathanRoberts, Nov 10, 2017.

1. JonathanRoberts

JonathanRoberts

Nov 3, 2017
    What do you guys think?

2. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Slades version of Move Over. Janis Joplins creation is not a weak song by any stretch. But Slade's version is like candy for us bottom end lovers... So I suppose I am biased....

JimK and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. This one goes back a ways but Van Morrison and "Them's" version of It's All Over Now Baby Blue knocked Bob Dylans original outta the park.

HaphAsSard, Nedmundo and Stumbo like this.
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006

(The original is great, this is mostly a different kind of great)

JimK and Tony In Philly like this.
  5. First one that comes to mind for me is Ziggy Stardust by Bauhaus. Both are great versions but Bauhaus gives it a nice edge.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Hendrix - All Along the Watch Tower
    Joplin - Me and Bobby McGee

Chicago - I'm a Man
    Don't know if it's better. Different, rocky feel, especially with Kath's guitar work and Cetera's voice.

7. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach

desertrider71 likes this.
  8. Insert band/artist here” version of “insert Bob Dylan song here” is much better than Dylan’s original.

Gary Jules’ version of “Mad World”, by Tears For Fears is iconic.

juancaminos, rtav, Nedmundo and 11 others like this.
  9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Blinded by the light- Manfred Mann

10. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    This is the first cover that comes to mind for me when someone asks this question. Bauhaus did a fantastic job of honoring the original while giving it a different feel and energy. Wonderful.

bassstrangler and corndog like this.
  11. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
  12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    The two that pop into my head are Johnny Cash covering NIN's "Hurt" and 30 Seconds To Mars covering Lady Gaga's "Poker Face". Both covers do a complete 180 from the original and I think they're amazing.

13. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    RATM’s cover album is full of covers that I think sound way better than the original songs.

14. LordRyan

LordRyan

Dec 9, 2012
    NJ
    "Twist and Shout" and almost any song The Beatles covered was better than the original.

"Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix is better than any previous version.

"Morning Dew" by The Grateful Dead is better than any version before or since.

"Good Lovin'", by The Young Rascals exceeds the original.

"Back Door Man" by The Doors is probably the definitive version.

"House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals redefined the song.

George Thorogood was able to take old blues, country, and R&B and make hits out of them, a feat few have accomplished.

"Better By You, Better Than Me" by Judas Priest takes it to a new level.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  15. Frampton

Frampton Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2010
    NY
    Funny! And absolutely true.

16. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008

Bob_Ross and funkinbottom like this.
  17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    My understanding was that Springstein wrote this for Manfred Mann. Then recorded it for himself later. Either way Mann's version is way better IMO.

Edit: Per Wikepedia I am wrong about this. I hate when people lie to me.:rollno:
    Someone told me Bruce wrote it for Mann years ago and like a schmuck, I believed them.

18. Frampton

Frampton Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2010
    NY
    I’m reluctant to say it’s better, since the original is close to perfect, but this version can bring a tear to my eye.

JimK, whatizitman and bass12 like this.

19. Personally I believe Goldfinger's rendition of "99 red balloons" is worth a mention, has all the funkiness of the original but as an added bonus is a genuinely energetic tune indeed.

Also I believe that Taking Dawn's cover of "The Chain" (although a tad sacreligious) has been pulled off excellently, they seem extremely comfortable doing that tune and everything about it suits the band perfectly.

And while we're here, may not be everyone's cup of tea but I genuinely think that some of Children of Bodom's covers have been absolutely, hilariously brilliant. Don't believe me, have a look at their cover of Britney's "Oops! I did it again" or Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl". They also did a good thing with Maiden's "Aces High" too!

squeakyd, BazzaBass and Dogbertday like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021