1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are the best online bass lessons?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by latkingz781, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Pupalei

Pupalei

Jan 12, 2014

Good to know, thanks.

2. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    TonyGreyBassAcademy.com is awesome! I'm a member and really enjoy the lessons. Very very well done.

3. I like this guy even though he sorta sounds like kermit the frog (or is that why?)

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3bhQzgjH-qAJ_5EcnuAuJg

fnord!

4. And Finbar does a good job of playing a part… playing it again for you… and again… so that you can follow along without having to pause too much and rewind as youtube's interface for that is crap.
    fnord!

5. Thanks Chris!

I forgot that. I saw the announcement about your free site over at Basso Ridiculoso. Which is another great place. I have enough trouble finding time to play let alone check out all the info available online.

6. True, this.

Roy Vogt is a member here. He also has a forum, Thunder Row, where he addresses concerns and issues players have. It is open to the public and also has a members only area for those who have purchased the TMBG course. (Teach Me Bass Guitar)

7. Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Apr 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Hi Guys

I noticed my name mentioned earlier in this post about my bass lessons. However, it didn't mention my bass video membership site:

http://www.joehubbardbassvideos.com/

If you sign up for my email list, I'll give you three free videos (not available anywhere else) as a sample of what to expect on the membership site.

All the Bass!

Joe

8. Igharib

Igharib

Apr 30, 2011
    BAHRAIN
    Here's my personal ranking , based on my own experience:
    1- joe hubbard's bass lessons http://www.joehubbardbassvideos.com , very well structured , with lots of exercises and ideas specially if you are a premium member and you want to follow his study plan.
    2- Scott Devine .. Thank you Scott , you are just awesome for makin this free .. Still not as structured as joe , in explanation and in content but very good www.scottsbasslessons.com
    3- Adam nitti - basically he gives you ideas and shows you how he applies it (I might be wrong ) . Too high level but I find it v helpful.
    4- cliff engel http://www.instituteofbass.com this one has like 3 or 4 courses sent weekly for 11 weeks , it's hard to catch up and lacks video content but it's structured and a good resource To have.
    5- truefire.com bass content is obviously ridiculous but has other good stuff on improvisation , styles and music in general .

9. I am also loving Tony Grey's bass academy, he has actually gotten me inspired to seriously practice for the first time in many years....which is a huge accomplishment. I have noticed a lot of improvement in only 2 weeks too

He encourages creativity and is very accessible if you have questions. His academy is very structured, not just a bunch of random lessons. You can focus on what you want to work on and he will help you come up with a schedule. Good for players of any levels and there is a 7 steps Beginner course that is really well done too that can be used in addition to the main academy. Tony has a bunch of free lessons on youtube too, to give one a taste.

10. Factory Owner

Factory Owner

Oct 11, 2007
    Columbia, Maryland
    Commercial User
  11. CookieRabinowit

CookieRabinowit

Apr 5, 2014
    Hi I saw the thread and wanted to add another online bass lesson instructor. A friend of mine Kevin Veccione just started offering up Skype lessons. He is an excellent teacher. I have learned so much from him over the years. He plays Bass for Greg Howe and the band Maragold. If you want to check him out here's a link. http://youtu.be/2cDhvSAc7Vw
    Thanks,
    Jules

12. GlassOnion

GlassOnion 1.21 Gigawatts

Apr 4, 2011
    Tempe Arizona
    FREE is best imo.
    Demo a handful before you spit out any change to buy online lessons. Also, make sure the first 15 minutes or lesson are free. Just incase you do not vibe with broham on the other end of the camera.

MarloweDK is the man. TONS of free material before you get into his paid stuff. Hes a jam machine.

13. My background is in guitar, and I'd put myself in the late beginner stage. I just started playing bass a month ago and I absolutely fell in love with it. My guitar rarely gets played these days. I also have very basic knowledge of music theory, just how to make chords and play scales and recognize keys. I decided to get "serious" about bass and so far I've watched probably 50 different videos on youtube from a variety of teachers. I definitely wanted some sort of beginner bass course, and a teacher was absolutely out of the question due to my financial situation, so I researched a few websites and picked Norm Stockton's Art of Groove. It's the cheapest monthly fee I've found so far, and I really like his teaching style.

I'm going through the first stage of his 60-lesson groove course, and I've taken a look at his "Grooving for Heaven" series, which reinforces what's covered in the 60-lesson groove course. I found that this course isn't the best for complete beginners, as there aren't enough videos covering absolute beginner techniques, but coupled with the "Grooving for Heaven" series, provides a solid foundation for someone who's looked at a lot of the other content out there on youtube. Some of the lessons are really short and don't seem to go as deep with information as I want, but luckily the internet is full of resources so I've never had the problem of feeling lost with each lesson. Also, the videos are low visual quality in today's high definition 1080p world, a minor issue, but the information needed is always presented.

I love the course so far because it gives me what I was looking for, which is structure. I had the problem of looking at videos covering different aspects of playing bass, such as slap, theory, licks, etc. all in one sitting. I didn't really advance because I was wasting my time all over the place and I wasn't focusing on building a foundation. Now I'm solidifying my arpeggio and scale fingerings and developing my ear to recognize intervals. It's been a week now and I'm able to look at a bassline and understand what intervals and being played and how it sounds. While I may not have improved my ability to play the bass guitar at all, I've definitely noticed that my mind is starting to figure things out. I've also been focusing on certain technique issues, such as fixing my flying fingers problem and learning to mute and such, but in a much more focused and disciplined manner instead of practicing a little bit of everything in one sitting.

So my impression of Norm Stockton's Art of Groove is that the 60-lesson course is a bit underwhelming in terms of depth and presentation, but I can't argue with the results. I love the structure of the lessons, and the course really works well once you work through them with the "Grooving for Heaven" series, which is also included if you sign up.

14. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    delete

15. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Scott Devine gets my vote as well. :)

progrmr likes this.
  16. JamPlay

JamPlay

Aug 9, 2012
    www.JamPlay.com/Bass
    JamPlay Berklee
    Little late to the party but has anyone had a chance to check out JamPlay.com/bass? We'd love to get your feedback!

17. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    You know, I subscribed to this thread forever ago, meaning to try out different things, and I think I skipped out on looking at about half of them.

18. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I know this is a fairly old thread, but it has been resurrected a few times lately, so I'll chime in. At the risk of exluding any of the equally capable online lesson providers, these are some I utilize (or have in the past):

As a beginner, I spent a lot of time with StudyBass (very good, although the play-along exercises are too short) & George Urbaszek's website. Marlowedk is also very good, and I like how he'll take an aspect of theory and apply it to a riff so it makes sense from a musical standpoint.

Paul Wolfe, How-To-Play-Bass, has been a Godsend for quickly learning a bunch of cover band tunes. They may not be note for note for the most part, but for a weekend-warrior gigging bassist, they're more than acceptable. And instead of being just a verbal tab, like Finbar, he'll often include a mention of how the note relates to the chord. I haven't yet checked out any of his theory/technique videos, however; just songs.

Scott Devine got some of my attention, especially when he first burst onto the scene. Lately, though, I've been gravitating more towards Mark J Smith. (I'm driving the Mrs crazy practicing along to his ghost note tutorials!)

Since I've been taking a hiatus for the last few months from actual knee-to-knee lessons, I've lately been checking out Russ Rodgers, too. I'm debating whether or not I want to go the Skype route, and if so, some of the previous names mentioned are in the running.

Lastly (finally), from reading this thread I became aware of Joe Hubbard. Some of his free YouTube stuff is very interesting. I'm probably going to sign up for some more of his free lessons as a way of sticking my toe in the water before I commit to anything more, but so far his approach seems like something I can latch on to.

19. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    Mark J Smith is in the process of launching a free subscription site, looks like he's planning some interesting things to put on it.
    I like Marks no-nonsense way of teaching. Check it out here: http://www.talkingbass.net/membersignup/

I've spent some time on Scott Devine's site as well. He has a more conversational approach to teaching and seems like a real nice (and talented) guy.

Win/Win with these guys.

20. ConnManX

ConnManX

Jun 12, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I've been taking knee-to-knee lessons for nearly two years now. I am about to stop (think I've picked up enough foundational concepts) and start a subscription with Scott D to continue exploring new ideas.