1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are the best online bass lessons?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by latkingz781, Jun 23, 2008.

1. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I like almost all of the above mentioned resources, for one reason or another. I would also like to mention Josh Fosgreen on YT. Among the free lessons, he offers some excellent stuff.

Paid, I can recommend from experience Scott's Bass Lessons, Joe Hubburd's videos and Norm Stockton's Art of Groove. All are excellent and you may prefer one or the other for the overall teaching style, material covered, type of presentation etc. I'd say Norm has the least overlap with the other two, thus being a great complementary resource if you are member of two or more. Scott's place is by far the most interactive. Joe offers twp different teaching/learning avenues, plus the customized instruction for 4 or 5 string on one of those.

Free content is hard to evaluate, as the worth is heavily dependent on one's needs and affinities, but I definitely like Fosgreen, Marc J Smith and Jeff Berlin's channel on YT. Obviously, there are others, but these I gravitate towards the most.

2. blamelouis

blamelouis

Jan 30, 2006
    belfast
    Have to say im torn between Joe Hubbard and Tony Greys sites.
    Gonna sign up to one ..dunno which !!!

3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Another vote for Tony Grey. I follow him on soundcloud and he recently posted a bunch of backing tracks. If I had the time to actually practice I'd sign up for his school in a heart beat.

4. Super Iridium

Super Iridium Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2013
    I just signed up for Scott's Bass Lessons at www.scottsbasslessons.com. It's free for the first 14 days, and I already like Scott's approach to the whole area, so I figure it's worth a try. I will let everyone know how it works for me when I start to get further into the lessons. --Jeff

FunkySpoo likes this.
  5. Super Iridium

Super Iridium Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Just listened to the first few lessons this weekend on Scott's Bass Lessons, and I'm glad I signed up! Very organized, easy to navigate, and presented in a logical order, which is exactly what I needed.

I'm going to keep the subscription going past the 14 days, because this information is well worth Scott's subscription price.

odarellmc likes this.
  6. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    As an addition to my usual bass studies, I recently signed up for a premium membership, which provides access to the Lesson Lounge and Bassment sections, at Joe Hubbard Bass Video Lessons. So far, my opinion of the site is very positive and it has met my expectations. As previously mentioned by other posters, the lessons are well structured and explained in detail. Furthermore, I appreciate that the lessons provided in the Bassment section are offered with the option to choose between basses with either 4 or 5 strings.

With that stated, this is my first experience with an online lesson site and, at least for me, I do not find them as a replacement for knee-to-knee lessons. However, I do see them as a potentially valuable resource, based on the quality of material and relevancy to the student's needs.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  7. Amplified

Amplified

Jan 19, 2014
    Cyberspace
    I signed up and paid a yearly fee via Paypal for the Joe Hubbard Bass Video Lessons. As it was a recurring payment, I cancelled the automatic renewal. When I did that, I now cannot access the site. I received all of two lessons. I tried contacting Joe and sent a first email some 2-3 days ago. No reply. Sent another one via the web form a couple of minutes ago.

Anyone facing the same issue of paying a few hundred dollars and got their membership cancelled when cancelling automatic renewal/recurring payments via Paypal?

8. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    Have you tried sending Joe a PM via TalkBass? His username is Snake Doctor (see post #67 in this thread). If you tried to email him only 2-3 days ago, that was right before the weekend. He may have been away/busy.

9. Amplified

Amplified

Jan 19, 2014
    Cyberspace
    Thanks. I have sent Joe a PM.

10. Amplified

Amplified

Jan 19, 2014
    Cyberspace
    It's been settled some time ago....closing the loop on this. The response was very fast, BTW from Joe.

11. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Glad to hear that! Joe's a good guy and a great teacher and player!

12. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I know he was mentioned, but I'd say Adam Nitti deserves much more attention. His website is excellent, offers two different types/approaches to instruction by way of his earlier musicdojo courses, which are text based, and video lessons with pdf transcriptions of the music exercises. The material is conveniently divided by topics, with structured lessons/courses on each subject.
    Depending on the chosen membership option, you may have the access to his bonus library and live masterclasses, too. All in all - you won't be sorry if choosing his program.

In the end, each of the websites mentioned here has a lot of value to offer, and there's myriad factors involved when making a decision. Personally, I like to start with some sort of diagnostic on what I NEED vs what I WANT, and then there is the presentation, personality of the teacher, price of admission...and the priorities may vary from one customer to the next.

viking power and Roy Vogt like this.
  13. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Speaking for myself, by the way, I have not yet tried the programs by Roy Vogt and Tony Grey (although his book/DVD package is absolutely excellent), so my not mentioning them at any point of this thread does not mean I don't like them, but just that I cannot form an opinion... Hopefully I will at some point be able to have a taste of those, too, and them put together a comprehensive comparative review ;)

14. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    I've been thinking of taking the plunge for one of these but it's tough to make a decision.

EDIT: One thing I will say is that Paul Wolfe from howtoplaybass.com has been great about answering questions.

EDIT 2: If my goal is to be able to compose songs on bass for rock type music which of these online lesson gurus would be the one to go with? I realize rock is not the most difficult of genres but I'm thinking like Fugazi, Royal Blood, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Red Hot Chili Peppers NOT Dokken and Winger...

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  15. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I'd say that from the perspective of composition/applied theory Joe Hubbard is the right choice. Although, his stuff is geared more toward the jazz/fusion kinda think, but you could modify for your purposes. Also, if you subscribe for his Bassment program, it will take a while until you get to the portion of the material you need for this purpose (his functional harmony courses).
    Alternatively, you might wanna go with Cliff Engel's non-video courses over at instituteofbass.com.

Still, if you wanna compose in a particular style, you could do good with analyzing the songs by the bands you mentioned (Cliff's harmony&theory for bass course would prepare you well for that), and then experiment on your own with similar compositional devices.

viking power likes this.
  16. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. I'll check those two options out.

With so little time on my hands I'd really like to find something geared towards the musical genres that interest me. Is jazz just the default genre for these online gurus? Is jazz what everyone wants to learn?

17. powermatt99

powermatt99

Sep 5, 2009
    MKE
    I've been a fan of Scott's Bass Lessons. While there is plenty of stuff for beginners, I like that you can jump in and learn a lick or two just to increase your "music vocabulary." I'm sure other sites or channels do the same thing. I pretty much fake my way through just about anything and try to present a serviceable bass line. When I have to play something out of my comfort zone, it is nice to be able to jump on Scott's site for a few hours and find some licks or bass lines in that style. I got to play bass for my school's (I'm a HS teacher) production of Dreamgirls a year or so ago. I knew I wouldn't have time to figure out how to read the entire part so I found a handful of funky gospel lessons from Scott and 'shedded enough to fake my way though 2.5 hours of mo-town, gospel, funk and disco. It was really fun sitting in with my students, many of whom are prodigious gospel musicians on Sunday mornings.

viking power likes this.
  18. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Sort of, because it covers the most ground. Still, there are other approaches. Norm Stockton has got a great site, and may be the most affordable on at that, where he covers a few different styles of music. He's got an entire course on the modern rock bass and how to make the eight-to-the-bar more interesting and get more mileage from it.

viking power likes this.
  19. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    Checking out Norm Stockton. Seems like some good stuff although I have to admit I'm not crazy about the "worship bass" thing. I'm hoping his other lessons would do the trick. I'll just try to keep an open mind as I'm checking his stuff out.