1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are the best online bass lessons?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by latkingz781, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    Scott Devine is great and I highly recommend his stuff like others here.

I think if somebody is really serious about mastering their instrument and will put the time in, they will absolutely get the most bang for their buck with Cliff Engel. I have studied with world class players and teachers all over the U.S. and you will be hard pressed to get information anywhere that Cliff Engel doesn't provide.

Having said that, we all learn and absorb information differently so YMMV.

Cliff Engel is from the Charlie Banacos school having been a long time student of his. You will have to put the time in to absorb the material and in the process you will begin to internalize the material and teach yourself. This is all you can expect from a teacher because at the end of the day the student has to put all the work in, that is the process of becoming great. Cliff Engel will simplify the process of unearthing what you should be practicing.

The International Institute Of Bassists | Study Bass Online Since 1997

viking power likes this.
  2. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    Thank you for posting this. I have been on the fence as to whether to enroll in some sort of online lessons or to continue deciphering the Bass Grimoire that I just recently bought.

During my research of online lessons, I keep coming back to Cliff Engel's site. One of my hesitations has been that his lessons are so inexpensive that they seem too good to be true! Your fine post has really helped me in my search. Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    mstott25 likes this.
  3. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    Cool.
    Yes, it is absolutely ridiculous how inexpensive Cliff's lessons are. A 12 week course costs $25 so you're paying less than $9 a month!!
    I couldn't imagine having time for anything else in addition to the materials he provides in his courses and he's very easy to get a hold of if you do have questions.

Please let us know how you like the lessons if you go that route.

4. GSn103

GSn103

Sep 4, 2015
    I am one of Cliff's current students...been taking Skype lessons for about a year. Definitely the best value in music education...not just for bass players...the music theory, improvisation, sight reading, rhythm studies, etc that he teaches can be applied to any instrument.

Strictly speaking about bass, I was a beginner when I started...knew some music stuff from playing trumpet in middle school but not a ton...I didn't really know how to make progress...so I wasnt getting anywhere.

I can move around the fretboard so much better now...always a lot of room to grow tho...most importantly when navigating the neck I'm able to visualize so much better where I'm going note-wise...not pattern playing. Very gratifying as I like to know what I'm doing so I can expand rather than just being stuck in a box because I know a pattern. Cliff is huge on knowing notes...and I agree its the only way to success. Pattern playing will catch up with you..."knowing the notes" will not.

And the amount and quality of his content is amazing...you could be busy for a lifetime if u wanted. But its not overwhelming if you focus on the things that align with you goals and realize it's the little things that add up to the end goal...not a matter of expecting to be awesome all of the sudden one day.

Happy to answer any questions... Or better yet talk to Cliff...it was mentioned before..he's very responsive.

viking power and mstott25 like this.
  5. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    So I emailed Cliff today - super responsive and patient as hell with all of my questions. I'll be signing up for his sight reading course after I finish typing this up. Looking forward to making some progress!

mstott25 likes this.
  6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I've been playing since 1978, and I know lots of stuff. But I find Todd Johnson's lessons really useful. He's kind of the Jim Hall of 6-string bass Todd Johnson Music

mstott25 likes this.
  7. blamelouis

blamelouis

Jan 30, 2006
    belfast
    Amazing lessons and so much info !!
    My heads spinning....thanks Chris .

8. I have had private skype lessons with two great teachers

Anthony Wellington
    Todd Johnson

I'd recommend both over most online courses or academies. I am also studying the Joe hubbard bass method from his online website which is in a different league of seriousness than most other online lesson websites, very chord tone oriented!

I have had brief member ships at Scotts and Janek's websites as well. But I don't know what to say about those.. Except I just didn't want to stay on those for long. So to re cap in my experience I recommend them in the order I listed them

But I figure nothing teaches real music like working out stuff from records and playing with real musicians and clearer knowledge of general tendencies of music ;) which you can find anywhere if you really dig hard enough!

But to repeat and edit myself.. Anthony Wellington seems to have best curriculum for music which applies to any style you might want to play, or all of them! I studied a lot of Todd Johnsons video lessons and then had some private sessions. Just two so far but have more planned but my lessons with TJ are jazz focused.

9. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    BTW, John Patitucci now has his electric bass curriculum on Artistworks website and the syllabus looks pretty comprehensive. I have not tried the lessons yet, though.

10. Gogalaps

Gogalaps

Mar 17, 2015
    US
    I am also one of Cliff's current students. He is amazing guy. Very patient and wisdom teacher. 100% recommend him!

11. nicalicious

nicalicious

Mar 2, 2014
    +Whatever we're up to on Scott Devine. I like the scope of musical styles he works with since it matches what I play (or try to).

I've recently discovered Josh Fossgreen on YouTube & have been impressed with his lessons in the same way as I am Scott's: Covers a range of styles, clear breakdowns of whatever he's presenting.

Both Scott & Josh combine technique with theory. If you play any jazz styles at all, understanding harmony and chords is a must, I think. You get that from them.

I have looked at other YT lessons, but I feel- for me, at least- there is a danger of jumping from one approach to another and not getting the benefit of seeing one method through.

12. Bodhammer

Bodhammer

Feb 26, 2015
    Albuquerque
    hufe likes this.
  13. Coddfish

Coddfish

Jul 22, 2016
    Www.talkingbass.net is very well stuctured and easy to understand the lessons are taught very well plus it's free.

14. hufe

hufe

Mar 21, 2011
    Tijuana, Mexico
    A couple years ago I discovered www.talkingbass.net in this thread and I'm quite happy I did. I've learned quite a lot from Mark's videos and lessons, he is a great teacher, and as stated in the previous post, is easy to understand.
    I've also had good experience with Scott Devine's videos and lessons (and he is now including interviews with bass players)
    Music College TV with Ritchie Blake, also mentioned above, is an excellent learning tool for beginners.

15. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    When it comes to free instruction, Ariana Cap has a very nice site/blog with some great instructional material. She has a book on music thoery for bass, and here is the series of clips that accompany it. If you browse her sire you'll find other interesting things, too.

Free Videos to Music Theory for the Bass Player | Ari's Bass Blog

LarryBama likes this.
  16. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    This thread spans from 2008 to 2016 so I thought I'd add a 2017 post! I found the thread very helpful. I've enjoyed the tips from Scott I've gotten on YouTube. I decided to try one of Cliff Engel's 12 week courses with video lessons (The International Institute Of Bassists | The IIB Online Bass Courses ). I just signed up and I'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the helpful posts. It's great that there seem to be a number of very good online bass instruction options.

4StringTheorist, loopee and Burwabit like this.
  17. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I like to learn, and I like instructions that are direct and to the point. Once I got out of the beginner mode, of learning how to hold the bass in my hand and how to pluck the strings. I started to learn various techniques and tricks via the many different free tutorials online. Thus, if you know what you want to work on, the info is out there, and it's free, quick and with no commitments. IMO it's better to learn from a lot of great players with their different perspectives, vs tagging along to one person.

For example, when I wanted to learn Reggae Bass, I learned it from several iconic Reggae bass players. For Blues, I learned it from several great blues bass players. Same for funk, and slap. All online, and free. And instructions from the icons who created the music.