Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are the best recording effects?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bjazz, May 15, 2003.

1. Bjazz

Bjazz

May 14, 2003
    i use cool edit pro 2. Given that i get a good solid signal from my peavey megabass head direct. what are your fav. effects or plugins to put on that bass track to warm it up, smooth it out or whatever. i also have a j-station but it always seems a little muddy for the bass patches to record direct.

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I would call it more of a necessity then a effect, but compression. It can if used right make your recording sound a lot better.

3. compression
    gating
    light reverb

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    TUBES!! I use a Mesa/Boogie VTwin pedal in preamp mode to record bass. Very warm and helps the bass sit in the mix nicely. Any tube preamp (Presonus makes a good one pretty cheap) will help alot.

5. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    ive got a vtwin for my guitar but i wouldnt use it for bass unless i wanted all the sub filtered out completely!

6. Yep, that works

7. thejbasser

thejbasser

Mar 3, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings
    I just bought the Electro-Harmonix Black Finger for compression. I really like it.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Sub lows in recording are bad bad bad. Too much low end and you get major mud. That said, I get great bass recordings with my VTwin.

9. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    ok...ill take another look :meh:

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A good compressor and a good EQ is all you need

11. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    "The Lane Poors on my bass " i must admit im new to this site and this terminology is way over my head but the subject of the vtwin got me going . For the sheer hell of it i decided to plug in a gibson les paul and pitch the vtwin against the british invader setting on the line6 bass pod xt.I know what you are all thinking...no contest right!... what can essentially a bass biased digital effects pedal hope to acheive against a true red blooded all american tube stomb box. Well quite a lot acctually....not much in it to my ears ...they both deliver but at the end of the day the pod can twist that sound around and around as much as you like where as the vtwin will only be just that..a vtwin...and maybe thats it charm...and the knowledge that the distortion is not just a fine digital mosaic that leads us on ..its the real deal.

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think the Pods are fine for scratch tracks, and they do some amazing things, but I found that the recorded tracks tend to dissappear once drums and other stuff is added in. I would record my guitar with the PodXT, and it sounded great. Then I would add bass, drums, etc.... wait! Where's the guitar? Something about the digital-ness of the Pod just makes it a very small signal, and gets lost in the mix.

I switched to using the VTwin and I have never had that problem again.

13. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    maybe your right .. i have just been jamming the twin and its got something over the pod...like a definite presence that may well carry it through on the mix....

14. the most usfull tool for me that I've found was the Warp VST amp modeler. But I only use it for guitar, I've been using my head's effects send into a Joe Meek Compressor for bass. I got a Sansamp RBI that will be here tuesday, that should come in handy.

Recorded using Warp VST amp modeler

15. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    well i just made a di test recording with a stingray into the sansamp into the pod xt using just the "air" (cab and mike) part and it sounded pretty damn good like a real stack at a good volume. Also with 6 string now settled on the Vtwin with "air" and had a lot of success with that also and the mix is totally there on all counts. Was a bit worried that even going through the pod xt would somehow make it less visible in the mix but that wasnt the case.