1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are the best speakers to put in a older 610??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kingskippy2001, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    It is a Peavey 610 that came with a MarkIII. The top two speaker are blown and unhooked. I am planning on replacing all 6 at the same time. What type/ brand would be best? Is there anything else I should know about before getting into this?

2. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    Any help?

3. go for some celestions

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Depending on how you want to wire it, you may limited in your options. If you want a 4 ohm cab, you'll have to go the 24 ohm speakers in parallel route or the 6 ohm speakers in series/parallel route. If you're running an amp without output transformers (ie most SS heads) you can easily just plop in some of the common 32, 8, or 4 ohm speakers and wire it up how you please.

What speaker works best for the cab is going to depend on the dimensions of the cab, and theres a whole flock of people here who could tell you what paramters are important to look for and such. It's been covered in a lot of thread, so searching might help.

For me, I used 8 ohm eminence bp102's when I had to re-speaker my 610 but again, that gave me a 5.3 ohm load, not the 4 ohms it was originally.

5. Lots of people prefer Eminence Speakers for replacements... you can get stock replacements from peavey too directly from thier website.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    As has been said on these forums a million times, the highest quality speaker in the world might sound like absolute crap when put in a cabinet with dimensions and port tuning that are incompatable with its T/S parameters.

You need to do more than "get a Celestion" or "get an Eminence".

7. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    Eric Moesle... would the best solution be to contact Peavey then to make sure I get it right?

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Weber makes the Ampeg replacements, they might work for you.

I have never head a good sounding Celestion bass speaker.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Peavey speakers are cheap and easy to recone. The replacement basket bolts right up.
    That way you know you're putting in a speaker that's optimal for the cab.

10. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Not in this case Chef. This has the older stamped steel baskets, and is the thinner old cab. I'd fill it up with 6 Eminence S2010 Basslites. They are made for a small space, and would probably be the best in that box. Make the box about 20 lbs lighter too.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Duely noted, thx!