1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Are The Best Strings For An Airline Pocket Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JonTishBASS, Nov 15, 2018.

1. JonTishBASS

JonTishBASS

Jan 29, 2018
    Just got one of these cool things but the strings are dirty and worn. What are some of your recommended string gauges for a 26.5 inch scale bass?

2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Other people's experiences differ, but in my experience with short scale basses (none quite that short, though), strings lighter than the "normal-for-long-scale" 45-100/105's most often equaled "kinda floppy" on my short scale basses. You might have better luck with lighter strings, but if it were mine? Something around 45-100s are what I'd start with. Eastwood's repro Airline Pocket Bass comes from the factory with 45-105s, in fact...:thumbsup:

JonTishBASS likes this.
  3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Interesting that I found this thread.

I recently bought a pair of 26" scale basses, and I have been looking for replacement strings. They are low end basses, and the stock strings are not terrific.

There are challenges with finding strings for very short scale basses. In order to make up the tension on a very short scale bass, one path is to use thicker gauges. When I researched strings for a 25" scale bass I designed a few years ago, I was able to make up the tension difference by using the BEAD strings of a 5 string - but tuning it EADG. That did work, but I got away with it because I was able to talk Mangan Strings at the time into giving me those gauges - starting with a 120 - in a size that would fit my custom 25" scale properly.

Fast forward to today, and I haven't found anyone willing to do strings for 25 and 26" scale basses. Just today, I started an experiment with using Ernie Ball Silhouette strings on my 26" scale. If they are not sized to the right length, you need to cut them, and only certain string designs are cuttable. Well, I'm really talking about the thick E. Most of the time, the other strings are going to be fine. Anyway, some E designs will implode after you cut them, and some won't. The EB Silhouette strings I tried today cut fine, and they are on the bass. I'm now waiting some time to see if they are going to be stable at that short scale.

JonTishBASS likes this.
  4. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I've had to use strings that were really too long for the bass I was putting them on a few times. It's something I try to avoid, but - sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do... I, personally, have never had a problem cutting the strings in the speaking part - with either flat or round wounds. And, I believe the reason I haven't is because, after measuring the usual "2 1/2 - 3 tuner post spaces past the tuner post it goes on", I always put a right angle bend in the string before I cut it. I can't say that it works for every single bass string - 'cause, much as I like to experiment, I haven't come close to trying every kind of bass string that's made. And probably never will... But, pre-bending before cutting has worked for me - so far...:whistle:

5. ebrobston

ebrobston

Oct 9, 2010
    I put Pyramid Gold flats on mine. They've been on for years, and if I recall correctly I used the short scale.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    How thick are the ones on there now?
    If you don't know, measure them.

7. JonTishBASS

JonTishBASS

Jan 29, 2018
    They are 105-45 gauge strings and they stay in tune well, but are getting rusty