1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are the best things to do in Texas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alfie, Apr 20, 2009.

1. I am going to a wedding in Austin in January next year, I will probably be over there for a week or so, what are the best things to do/sites to see.

In particular I like hiking and history, anything outdoors is great.

Also what is the weather like at that time of year?

2. COLD!
    I've never been to Austin so I don't know what activities to suggest, but I did live in the sticks of southeast Texas for two years and I can tell you that it will more than likely be cold enough to snap your nads off..
    But thats coming from a California boy that was raised in 65-80 degrees year round.

3. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    BBQ

4. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    Pee on the Alamo...

:bag:
    sorry - I'm a big Ozzy fan

5. Go see Lick Lick. I listen to their myspace daily. They only play in Austin and the surrounding area. I mean, if it's your style. If I ever get my passport in order, I plan on hitting the southern US to see some bands.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    For hiking drive out to Enchanted Rock. It's a unique place.

bc

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    [​IMG]

8. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Squish blackheads.

9. +1 on enchanted rock.

As far as weather is concerned,it might be 75 degrees,it might be 25 degrees.

Plenty of live music in austin.Try to find out if Alan Haynes is playing,if you like blues.

Edit:Just noticed,you are from Britian.You have probably never been around Texas women.So my answr to you is:Hook up with a Texas cutie!You might decide not to go home..............

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Go see an execution. The schedule is posted on www.austin.com. Generally the morning execution is less crowded than the two afternoon ones.

Austin has a lot of interesting history to explore - it is the state capitol after all.

But above all else, Austin has a fantastic live music scene. Really, one of my favorite cities in the US - top 5 at least. It doesn't hurt that it seems a lot like Berkeley with a drawl.

11. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Find out whats going on at UT campus. One time I took a look on the utexas.edu website and was able to catch a performance by Milton Masciadri. Totally free...

The Elephant room is on Congress avenue just North of 3rd street. Basement Jazz Club. Go!

Umm... Those are the first things that come to mind. There's a lot to do in Austin. There is also a lot to drink in Austin...

12. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    All my ex's. They live in Texas.

...I think...

13. This is a man who knows of what he speaks!!

The UT campus is rich historically. The LBJ library has some very cool stuff. Spend a couple of hours at the State capital. Austin is home to some very cool music.

Oh yeah, you can run into a beautiful girl every ten feet or so!!

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Leave?

:bag:

15. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    well Bass Emporium...duh

serioulsy though in January it's bound to remind you of home minus the moors...lol

16. Can't find the real thing on youtube, but you get the point :)

17. Wow. I'm actually at a loss for sarcasm.

Mike

18. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    check out the basement of the Alamo.

pee_wee1.

19. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    DRILL FOR OIL!!!!

20. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    thats the funniest one so far.

go to the state capitol. or 6th street at night.

freebirds are awesome. also the vintage record shops are cool. waterloo records.