What are the brightest flats??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Mar 18, 2006.

1. I know some of you might think this is an oxymoron, but its a serious question. The thumpy sound of flats is great, but they have to have SOME life in them! I would like to know which flats do the best job at accomplishing their classic sound while still keeping good definition in the mix? Am I dreaming or do these exist? Thanks
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    TI Jazz flats. More mids and highs than traditional flats, but still thump like flats. And they sit in the mix very well IMO. And if I crank the treble on my EQ up they can almost sound like RW.
  3. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The TI Jazz flats last the longest in my experience. I have them on most of my basses and the ones on my P are over 6 years old and still have lots of life left in them. They sound as good as when they were broken in after a couple weeks of playing. No other flatwound I've used has been able to do that. The ones on my Dano, Carvin and Ibanez vary in age from 2 years to 5 years and they still sound good too.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have TI jazz flats on my fretless.
  5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    TI flats have that mid tone and do last but they are not bright IMHO. I've moved to Rotosound SM77 and they are much brighter. I've had them on for about a month now on my Fender Jazz fretless and they still sound great. It's the first time I've tried them so I can't say how long they'll last but so far so good.

I like the slightly higher tension of th 77's too.