1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are the brightest flatwound strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by de la mocha, Feb 23, 2008.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Basically, I want to get rid of that *sqwalk squeak wick wick* noise!

2. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    i think the steve harris (iron maiden) sig. strings could be it....

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Thomastic Jazz Flat are about as bright as flats get, the Steve Harris ones aren't that bright, and get the thump happening fairly quick.

4. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    The Steve Harris strings (Rotosound SH77) are bright, but only for a while. They are large strings too. You can try the Rotosound RS77 Monel flats also. They are the same as the SH77's but in a smaller guage. I have a few sets of these lying around with only 8 hours of play on them.

Those are the strings that I use (SH77), but I only use them for two shows each. I replace my strings every two shows.

Anybody interested in Steve Harris sig strings that have about 8 hours of play on them? :)

5. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    for 10€ shipped, yes :)

6. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Fender tapewounds? At least on my brother's Ibanez they were kind of bright...

7. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Damn, only 2 shows? are you a guitarist? :p

8. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I find LaBella tapewounds plenty bright.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would second the TIs. IMHO they are much more like smooth roundwound strings than flat wounds.

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm satisfied with the brightness and clarity of TI JazzFlats. I have 'em on a fretless Pbass and two different active fivers. I crank the treble all the way down on my active basses because the TIs provide such abundant highs.

I seem to recall a recent thread with clips, in which Chromes sounded even brighter than TIs to my ears over high-quality headphones.

Some have said they find the string tension too low on the TI flats, but I find TI tension neither remarkable nor objectionable.

11. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    GHS Briht Flats are pretty bright.....

But they sounded really mid scooped to me, no real character

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Where the chromes new? New chromes might be brighter.

13. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Has to be Rotosound 77's. I tried TI JazzFlats and they were smooth but not bright IMHO

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I put a set of chromes on my bass and went straight to the gig. I had to turn my tone pot almost all the way down. WAY too bright for my taste, but then I prefer thumpy.

15. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I would have to agree that the chromes sound the brightest
    of any flats I have tried.
    The others being Fender and TI .

16. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    I'm liking the Chromes, they're more to my liking for rock (compared to the beautiful but quite mellow TI flats). My next step is to try some half rounds or ground wounds. I don't quite want the piano-like bell tones of a roundwound, will be trying some intermediate steps.

17. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    By far the Chromes.

The clank goes away quickly, but they stay flat bright.

Brite flats aren't really flats, I think, and tapes are definitely brighter, but the attack and sustain are unique.

18. + 1 for the Chromes

19. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Heh, nope! I love the way they sound, but that awesome sound doesnt last long. No big deal though... I take $40 out of the music pay and buy them.

20. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I have had both chromes and TI jazz flats on the same bass back-to back. Chromes are brighter.