Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are the classic P&J bass sounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ekim, Mar 8, 2006.

1. I have a Stu Hamm Urge II, and it has the two sets of classic Fender pups. It sounds pretty versatile to me and I can dial in all sorts of stuff.

My question is, what are some good recorded examples of the P&J sounds?

I can isolate the rear Jazz pup and put high end on it. I'm guessing that's the classic Jazz sound? Lots of growl, string noise and chimey-ness?

I have no idea what to do with the tone controls in conjunction with the P pups to get the classic "P" sounds.

Thoughts?

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Good ideas of PJ tone would include GN'R and VR stuff, Duff McKagen uses Fender Jazz bass Specials, iirc, which are a PJ setup. He's got an awesome cutting tone.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This should be in recordings maybe.

Graham Maby on Joe Jackson's "Look Sharp" is an Ibanez P-J bass with tapewound strings. A very distinct sound!

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    There are many, many posts on examples of classic P and J sounds. Try a search and you will get a ton of opinions on just this question.

As far as particulars on the electronic layout and control of your particular instrument consult the Fender site. Find out how to isolate the neck P bass pickup and put the bass in passive mode and you should be golden.

5. I meant to say what are the two different types? First, what is a good example of the classic Jazz bass sound.

Then, second, what is a good example of the classic P-Bass sound?

I just feel as though I should know these things!

Sorry for being unclear!

6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

7. Cool! Thanks for the links.

Now am I correct in guessing I should bump the highs and use roundwounds for the J sound to get more of the gritty, growling sound?

And am I also correct in guessing that I should use flatwounds and cut the highs and or mid-highs for the P sound?

8. Favor the back pickup and the rest of the magic is in your fingers.

9. Yeah, I figured that too. When I do that, I can sort of imagine that I might be able to sound like Geddy someday!

I love his attack.

What about maximizing my P-Bass sounds, though? Was I right on that? Roundwounds and boost the mids / lower mids?

10. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Anyone have a clip of a Jazz's neck pickup soloed?

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Jazz players:
    Noel Redding with Hendrix
    John Paul Jones with Led Zepp
    Jaco Pastorius

P PLayers:
    James Jamerson of Motown/Funk Brothers fame
    Bob Babbitt: same, but later, and then some