1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are the differences between a TRB6P and a TRBJP?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    So what are its main differences other than the ones I know:

• Body shape the same but horns carved differently
    • TRB6P has piezo
    • Different fingerboard markers. Simple circular pearl dots on the 6P and a big ole ones on the JP
    • TRB6P only comes in a 33 3/4 scale (I think that's the right length)
    • New addition: TRB6P is neckthrough and TRBJP is bolt-on

Anything else?

I have a feeling they are almost identical basses and that if you were to turn off the piezo you'd get the same sounding instrument?

The pickups and electronics are the same (other than previously stated piezo) right?

Thanks!

Matt

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    The JP is now 35".. i think...

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah. I was hinting at that with reference to the TRB6P's scale length. Thanks for reaffirming it though :)

4. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    6P is also neckthrough. Won't sound too similar to the JP when set flat.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Right!!! I knew that but forgot to add it. Putting it in now.

6. The TRB 6 (Mk I) is very similar to the TRB JP (Mk I), same body shape, same horn cut, same bolt-on design, same neck shape (I think), same fingerboard width.

I think the differences lie in the body woods (swamp ash vs a multi-laminate body), fingerboard wood (rosewood vs ebony), appointments (dots vs funky inlay), and possibly electronics.

I have a TRB6 as my main gigging bass, and would love a JP at some point... but there are other basses I'd rather get first - but that's only because I already have the perfectly adequate TRB6.