Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are the differences between Bolt-on and Neck-thru basses. (warwicks)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brilliant Fool, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Ok, obviously the construction is different, that's not what I'm asking. :rolleyes:

Just to bring you all up to speed. I play a warwick thumb bolt-on 4, my first 'good' bass. The other day I walked into guitar center (canton) when a friend of mine, who works there, nearly scared me to death! "Dude, you have to play this bass!", it was a warwick thumb 5-string. After taking it off of the wall he handed it to me and said, "It's a neck-thru". I had never played a warwick neck-thru ANYTHING before, so I had no idea what to expect. I plugged it into an SWR stack and started playing it.

:eek: WOW!

This thing sounded nothing short of explosive! It was unlike any bass I had ever played.

So here's my question: What is it about neck-thrus, warwicks in particular, that makes them sound so rich, so sharp, so... goddamn good, compared to bolt-ons!? Is it the wood, the electronics, is it all one huge conspiricy working towards me spending way too much money on a new bass?! Someone help me out here!

Perhaps I made this a bit too wordy, I'll keep that in mind when I post in the future. ;)

2. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I don't like the neck-thru Thumb as well as the bolt-on. YMMV of course. I suggest you go back there with your bolt-on and plug it into the same stack. Do a direct comparison and you'll have a clear idea of the differences.

But there's no clear answer on why neck-thrus sound different from bolt-ons, only theories which will probably be debated forever.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The diffence you hear may not even be due to bolt-on vs. neck-through. There can be major differences in sound between two similar basses, just because of different pieces of wood, different pickups and electronics, and not least importantly new strings vs. old strings. Maybe you also played through a better amp than you're used to?

But if you've found a bass that really speaks to you, buy it! ;)

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As far as Warwicks are concerned, I've found that the BO's have more of a lowend presence than the NT's. More thump, if you will.

5. My bolt-on does have quite a bit of low-end, and quite a bit of nice thump... but that neck-thru did too. It just had more, you know?

Perhaps this particular thumb was made out of jesus' toenails or something, my lord it was nice. I believe someone bought it. :(

Eh, not like I had the money for it anyways. :p

6. The Thumb B/O has a 9volt, 2 channel preamp.

The Thumb Neck-Thru has an 18volt, 3 channel preamp.

This could be part of the difference. Also the Bolt-On and Neck-Thru have different body & sometimes neck woods.

I like my B/O a LOT! My friend Dan plays a Neck-Thru and the difference is noticable when doing a back to back comparrison.

7. Well, why do you prefer BO's?

I'm just a bit curious.

8. I don't think it's better, just different. I can't afford a Neck-Thru and personally don't think the difference is worth the $$$.

I sold my Sterling to get my Warwick bolt-on and I don't regret it for a second (Heavy Duty may beg to differ) ;)

9. I really hate musicmen... they sound so f'n artificial, so twangy.

Warwicks have a nice, earthy sound; very natural.

I <3 my warwick.

10. I'd save up your pennies for a NT. I found it to have more sustain, and growl. If you're looking for the classic Warwick "growl", I feel it's best reflected in their NT basses. Having said this.... I am looking to trade my NT thumb 5 in for a Lakland 5 :bag:

11. I've never played a lakland... I've heard great things about them, but no local music stores, by me, carry them.

12. get your hands on another bass.

there are plenty other better basses out there.

cheaper, perhaps, too.

and dude....i love warwick....but....

come on, jabrone!

13. Jabron....e?

Is the polish?