What are the essential "other" Beatles discs?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Fluke, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    That is, which you think a non-fanatic should have, besides the original studio albums, to get all the best outtakes, B-sides and early sessions with as little overlap as possible. Any good brief suggestions?
  2. flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Get Live at the BBC

...get everything.
  3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

If you're a Beatles completist, aside from the original British releases you must get "Past Masters" vols 1 and 2. All the B sides are there, along with gems like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "She Loves You" sung in German. Also, this one is the only official document of a Beatles concert during the hysteria days. I mean, there are lots of bootlegs, but the recordings in this album were polished by George Martin and Geoff Emerick for public release. And for outtakes and early sessions, get "Live At The BBC" and the Anthologies 1, 2 and 3. It's also a good idea to get the "Let It Be... Naked" album, which is the "Let It Be" album as it was supposed to be before Phil Spector did his own version (the originally released LP).

Hope this helps.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I think flats & Alavaro have nailed it!
  5. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat

Somewhere out there look for the footage of Paul and Ringo laughing all the way to the bank.