What are the good teaching videos for slap bass?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by all_grown_up, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Can someone recommend some good videos for slap bass? By way of background, the Lee Rocker video was a start but most of it is devoted to bass "basics". Looking for something designed for someone who already plays bass and has basic slap technique and is looking for more advanced stuff.

Thanks

2. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    IMHO..The Ungental Art..Mark Rubin and Kevin Smith take you from setup and pickups strings etc all the way to pretty much every slap and how it applies to any type of music..I learned everything I know from it and still watch it from time to time just to refresh..The best part to me is they show you the slap in real time,then slow it down so you can really see whats going on ..You will have to know how to play the bass though because they wont touch on that..Just slappin..Pete Turland has on as well but I dont think its as informative or user friendly as Ungental Art..Google it and you will see who sells it..Hope this helps..

3. Thanks, sounds just like what I want. Fortunately, I already know how to play. well sort of.

4. rick123

rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    The Marshal Wilborn (check my spelling) slap bass method is very good, however, it is aimed pretty much at bluegrassers. It is part of the Murphy Method "how to play dang near every bluegrass instrument" series by Murphy Henry. I like all of Marshal's work; he's one of the greats.

5. joe_sorren

joe_sorren

Apr 7, 2005
    arizona
    I have watched a gob of these videos about slap, and I would have to say that of all of them, Pete Turland's video was great very helpful and inspiring. So was Marshall's, in a more toned down sort of way. There is great coverage of the single finger slap technique in there.

By the way, it is VERY COOL to have this area in talkbass now. Way to go moderators!

6. mpoppitt

mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    I learned quite a bit from "Ungentle Art"

7. Seventhirteen

Seventhirteen

Jan 28, 2007
  8. I have used both the Lee Rocker video,and the Kevin Smith-Mark Rubin video.I have since given away both of them because I've gotten out of them what I could.In your case I'd recommend the Kevin Smith-Mark Rubin "The Ungentle Art" also.

Just as a note,it looks like local bassist(here in Nashville)David Roe has put out a video also.Dave a great slapper,so I'll bet his new video(I think it's called 101 things I wished I knew when I moved to Nashville) is worth a look.

9. Rickske

Rickske

Jan 4, 2007
    The Netherlands
    So is anybody into the bit-Torrent thing? Looking for some cool learning/study video's

10. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    If you ever want tot make a trip down south I will teach yah.

11. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Any video recommendations?

12. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    The only one worth Checking out, is Kevin from HighNoons.

As far as youtube goes, there are few on there that are good. The best that comes to mind is a MemphisEvils.

13. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    I guess google it. I remember it was hard to find a couple years ago. It should be in print again.

"The Ungental Art..Mark Rubin and Kevin Smith"

The other thing I recommend. Is study your upright. Just pluck a sting, pull it. slap it. Pay attention to the sounds. become one with it. Never fear it, remember your in command, and its a part of you.
    This sounds hookie, but trust me. You can tell when a player isnt one with his upright.
    Remember also, keep the slaps low and controled.
    Stretch!!! drink lots of water, I havent been drinking water alot cause of drinking to much caffien from lack of sleep. I cramped one song into the set the other night.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021