1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are the lighted fender style tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thebigcock, Apr 22, 2009.

1. thebigcock

thebigcock Banned

Sep 24, 2008
    What are the lighted fender style tuners? I have some HiPshots , are they the lightest?
    cheers

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I guess you mean "lightest". :meh: Hipshot Ultralights are probably among the lightest, but not all Hipshots are from their Ultralight line. They make regular-weight ones too.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Lighted tuners were invented by Hendrix, right?

4. schaller tuners are even lighter than hipshot... as far as i know schaller makes the tuners for fender deluxe basses

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you're talking about the black composite "boron" keys? yes, very light (even the threaded bushing and washer are way lighter than normal). i like light basses, and these keys are the ticket to preventing neck dive, while still having a full-size gear.

6. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    Hipshot Ultralites are very light. I use them on my Sterling and the bass is perfectly balanced.

7. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009
    +1

8. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    hipshot ULs are not a retro fit for the fender deluxe lines, you'll need to fill and redrill. Worth it, though! Turned my 92 american jazz 5 back breaker into a well balanced axe.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Really? Even the UL 1/2" shaft ones are smaller than the Fender Deluxe shaft diameter?

10. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Gotoh makes a set of extremely light 60s vintage reverse tuners but they are very hard to find in the USA currently.

11. I think he means that the screw holes don't line up.

So is there a definitive answer on the lightest tuners available? I can't find the Gotoh ones and can't find the weight of the Schallers.

12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Sperzels are light too. All aluminum