1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are the most popular basses among European bass players?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Margus Alviste, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Hi, there! I know that most of you are from United States. But I know that there are some bass players from Europe as well. What instruments are you playing?

I personally own about ten basses which all are designed or made in US (except the 7-string made by Alex Vychodil from Chech Republic):

Fender Jazz 68/69
    Sadowsky RV-5
    MTD 535
    MTD Heir 5
    Warmoth 4- and 5-string
    Carvin Anniversary 6-string Fretless
    Washburn AB20 Ac. Bass Guitar

There's also a Lakland JO5 coming from States within a few weeks.

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Besides Fenders, most played basses in europe are warwicks and EBMM stingrays, almost every single concert/gig/video of an european band (not counting on jazz stuff wich is really in the fodera vibe at leat here in spain...) ive seen vasculate among those basses.
    But pedullas, statuses, sandbergs and then all the custom luthiers can be seen more often than you might think.

I personally play Vigier arpege III and Yamaha TRB1006 basses. The vigier electronics are realy flexible you just have to know what youre looking for.

3. yamaha is pretty big here

4. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I think Ibanez is pretty big. They gots lots of em here.

5. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Sometimes, I get a little jealous of you guys and gals in the States, who can pick up a top-notch pre-EB StingRay on eBay for less than $2,000 on any given day of the week, fill up your vitrual shopping cart at Musicains Friend with the latest (non-export Fenders) or pop down the Alembic workshop to choose the exact sliver of wood that is to be used in the neck laminates on your latest custom made bass :scowl: (I'm kidding here. I know America's a BIG country);)

But, being in Europe does open up a lot of other possibilites on the new and used markets. When I was living in England, I had the pleaseure of dealing with Rob Green at Status Graphite. Their bolt on replacement necks are a fantastic upgrade to any StingRay (IMHO). In fact, they made the necks for the silver NAMM model. Their thru neck basses, like the King Bass (Mark King) and the Classic series still have their fans too. Sorry, this isn't answering your question, is it?

Now that I live in Germany, I see a lot of Warwicks and Sandbergs doing the rounds (both German made, I believe). Still, the major GAS still seems to be for the American stuff (Fender & MM mostly).

On the budget front, as the other guys said, Yamaha and Ibanez seem to shift a lot of units, but still less than the Fender Squier range, I reckon.

My European pals won't thank me for this, but I still think that as the Americans invented the electric bass, their bass manufacturers desereve most of the huge worldwide following that they still enjoy today. Keep up the good work chaps! :bassist:

6. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I like basses that don't shave under their arms...

7. Fistly, it seems that there are not many European bass players here in TB?
    And yes, I agree with the statement that United States represents the best in the bass world. Any more comments, European bass players??? :)
    What about your locally made custom instruments????!!!!:smug:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't be jealous of us Americans. We may have the best basses, but we have to dodge all that gunfire when we walk across the street because of our overly liberal gun laws (at least that's what this dude in New Zealand told me he pictured the US to be like).

9. The majority of European bass players is just as conservative as their USA counterparts: you have to play Fender, MusicMan or Rickenbacker to be taken seriously by the shallow masses. The Squier JV hype is starting to get ridiculous price wise. Now you see a lot of Warwicks being offered secondhand (for very low prices) as they seem to be falling from grace. Ibanez was very popular during the 'nu-metal nineties', but that also seems to be over. Older / discontinued Asian basses are definitely on the way up, like Yamaha BB, Ibanez ATK/Musician and Tokai P and J.

10. jbasss

jbasss

Dec 5, 2005
    Sthlm, SE
    Right on spot!

Playing US Lakland and Fender basses

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Around these parts its Ibanez and Yamaha for the budget basses.

If youve got slightly more moolah then some of the cheaper Warwicks tend to be popular.

Top of the range? I see a few Sandbergs and customs like Overwater.

I dont really fit into this with my MM and USA Fender do I? I dunno, Im a kid so most of my peers are playing budget basses and cheap combos.

12. Eyjo

Eyjo

Apr 29, 2006
    Reykjavík Iceland
    I think it's pretty much the same gear that is popular in Europe and in the US.
    But Fender, Yamaha, LTD and washburn are pretty big in Iceland.

13. Joeonbass

Joeonbass

Dec 9, 2006
    Guildford, UK
    I'm from the UK and the most popular basses over here are Fender, EBMM, Warwick and Ibanez probably.

14. In my country - Fender, Warwick, custom basses from local luthiers. Put for spice some old antics that have surprisingly good reputation - like Ibanec Musician and old Aria's.
    My main instrument is custom 5 with Bartolini pickups and electronics, but I also have Squier JV, old Ibanez Roadster and some other custom basses.

15. I was at a indie festival recently and 7/10 bassists there played a MM Stingray. The younger guys played its Ibanez counterpart, the ATK. I saw a single Fender Jazz and a couple of Japanese(Tune etc,) Jazz-a-likes. People are gushing over my Ric but I only know of one guy that actually plays them locally.

16. Most people round here play Fenders or some kind of cheap knock off. A few of the usual others- Yamaha and Ibanez are both pretty common, and I know a few Spector players as well (because Sound Control stocks them a lot).

17. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    I don't think it's different from the US. The usual Fender, MM, with probably a bigger percentage of Warwicks (they are German after all) and local productions (Status, Vigier, czech Spectors). Obviously there is a lot of boutique basses in Europe, Sei, Noguera. They are quite popular, especially on the pro scene. The Fenders and MMs are more expensive, but still very much top players. There are still a lot of far-eastern basses, Ibanez and Yamahas are very common (Especially Ibanez, I see them everywhere).

In all, not much different. Oh yeah, I'm not seeing many Rics and Carvins. They seem more popular in the US.

18. too many fenders,not enough MTDs or Yamahas from where I come from.

19. danis

danis

Jun 7, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Too many Fenders and many Ibanez here in Greece

20. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    J's and 'Rays are popular with the pros. Ibanez, Yamaha and maybe Squier have the entry level market pretty much sewn up between them. The metal crowd goes for Warwick or ESP Ltd.