What are the most popular basses in the world?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What are the most popular basses in the world? I'm not looking for an opinion, I'm looking for actual factual information. However, a true educated guess would probably be good to add too.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Fender Precision is THE most popular bass guitar if you count the total number made since 1951.
  3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Brand and Model. Like "Fender Jazz Bass" or "MusicMan Stingray".
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Fender Squier has been holding onto the best selling bass position for the last couple of years, according to music store sales.
  5. I'd say most popular selling is Fender P-Bass. Jazzes are definately more copied (x100000000), and don't sell much less tha P's I think. I think J's will take over P's eventually. Or so I'm hoping. :D
  6. Hooray for Jazz bass! :hyper:
  7. If the 2nd poster was correct, then statistically that makes precision basses the most "popular." I know I see a lot more P's than J's around my area, but that's me.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I see WAY more J's around here. In the Fender dealers I go to, there are usually two or three jazz basses for every precision, and in the places that stocks "copies", they're ALL jazz copies.
  9. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I do know that Samick is the largest guitar company out there, but really I have no idea about the statistics. I believe the J bass is the most recorded bass of all time.
  10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Totally true the number of orifinal Fender Js selled is bigger than Ps (mex, MIJ & am), if you are able to recognise a fender peghead(decall included) you have a 60% of probabilyties for it to be a J (counting with all the fender basses Js Ps zones...............)
  11. BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Fender P....baby... :p
  12. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    according to the guy who owns the local shop

Ibanez rules the lower end guitar/bass market, selling even more than Squier.