1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are the most ridiculous things you've heard someone say affect tone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chad-Chicago, Feb 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chad-Chicago

Chad-Chicago

Feb 21, 2010
    My fav's:
    9V battery orientation, i.e they sound better horizontally rather than vertically
    pick-guard
    neck plate thickness/material
    straps and strap locks
    ac cable

Bob Lee (QSC) and BassLover668 like this.
  2. timbre is a collection of many tones

some believe that if the wood in a guitar or bass is exposed to music long-term that it has better resonance

Bob Lee (QSC) and PillO like this.
  3. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    The older a bass gets, the better it sounds.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The logo on the head.

5. Stainless steel screws.

PortlandBass77 and kesslari like this.
  6. A mixing console.

7. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Are you saying it doesn't?

AngelCrusher likes this.
  8. Show me the console that can sound like a bass rig.

9. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    That isn't even close to the original topic.

I'll pass on the bait.

LiquidMidnight and GregC like this.
  10. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Of course someone here will say the tone is in your fingers, but I want to throw this out anyway. The other night I was practicing playing all the songs with a pick, to help build technique and stamina, and when I went downstairs, my wife said that was the best I ever sounded, and that it didn't sound like me at all. :D

11. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Not crazy stuff but I've heard....
    It matters what type of paint is on a bass body ...I don't believe it matters.
    That painted and non painted sounds different....I don't think so.
    The type of wood for the fretboard does not effect a fretted bass tone....I think it does.
    That wood types on a bass body means nothing, and I think it does.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    LiquidMidnight and Clark Dark like this.
  12. Chad-Chicago

Chad-Chicago

Feb 21, 2010
    The most ridiculous claim I've ever heard was that the type of knob used on a stereo could affect sound quality.

The company (Reference Audio Mods) is long out of business, but I found the text from their ad copy.

-----

Silver Rock Signature Knob
    Quantity in Basket:none
    Available:
    Code: NOB_C37_C
    Price: $485.00
    Shipping Weight: 0.50 pounds
    Quantity:

Good vibrations, Bad vibrations it’s all about vibrations!! RAM would like to introduce a new signature level knob developed for the mighty Silver Rock potentiometer. The standard bakelite knob is certainly the best sounding compromise... but now Audio Consulting has taken this aspect of the Silver Rock much further. The new knobs are custom made with beech wood and bronze where the bronze is used as the insert to mount to the stem of the volume pot. The beech wood is coated several times with C37 lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an even greater effect…really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear…way better sound!!

13. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    I think audiophile fuses are my favorite.

Marketing copy from a company that sells $90 audiophile fuses:

"The HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses utilize a silver & gold alloy wire, ceramic casing, as well as anti-resonance and quantum treatments. Each HiFi Supreme fuse is tested at the factory to ensure performance and reliability. While these are pricey, they are considered by many audiophiles to the best fuse available on the market.

For best performance, the HiFi Supreme fuses should be installed one way, listened to, and then reversed the other way to determine best sonic orientation."

I wonder if they throw in a free bottle of snake oil.

14. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Isn't color supposed to?

Sorry, I know this comment should be in musical dis-information...

15. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Stickers definitely affect the tone of your bass. Not only that, STP, Ferrari, Magneti Marelli, etc. stickers and racing stripes will help you play faster, Castrol, Valvoline, Agip, etc. help you play slicker, and an "Ignore Alien Orders" sticker will help you play punk.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    $1,200 power cables.

17. Really, anything you do to an instrument has to have some impact, even if it is infinitesimally small, so even the more esoteric claims certainly have at least a modicum of validity, even though the change is imperceptible to the human ear.

When I was a kid, I remember completely rewiring a Westone Pantera bass because someone told me heavier gauge wiring would fatten up the sound; it didn't, but it was fun to do.

That being said, another guy told me loosening the screws that held the pick guard on my Precision bass would make it resonate better, as a tight pick guard dampened the sound. (Sort of already mentioned above.)

PS- I didn't fall for it~that time.

18. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Barometric pressure. Even has a barometer in his gig bag.

WISH I was kidding.

19. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Makes some sense for some instruments, but not for solid body basses.

seang15 likes this.
  20. Chad-Chicago

Chad-Chicago

Feb 21, 2010
    Dark hardware=Dark tone

kesslari likes this.