What are the most versatile BASS DELAY, STEREO CHORUS, and PHASER pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jay Terrien, Feb 3, 2005.

1. What are the most versatile BASS DELAY, STEREO CHORUS, and PHASER pedals?

I know it's subjective, but please give me some pedal choices/companies to research. I would also love to hear some listening examples of these pedals in action.

I am OVER my Digitech BP8, the hisses and hums are ruthless. Or, is that coming from my Boomerang????????? :)
  2. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    In my experience, the Boss PH-3 Phase shifter can't be beat for versatility. There are almost too many tones in that box. (Almost).

Also, the Boss DD-5 or DD-6 Digital Delay pedals are quite versatile. I use the DD-5 and love it for it's simplicity and great pallette of tones.

I got both the delay and the phaser at the same time and was overwhelmed by all the sounds. Both are well worth a long look, in my opinion.

Digitech's Bass Multi-Chorus has also done right by me. It has the ability to add up to sixteen chorus "voices" simultaneously. Everything from under-water sounds to Eighties metal to Tool's "46 and 2". This was the only chorus I found that sounded more Hi-Fi than cheesy.

Good luck in your search.
  3. Wow, awesome!

Now, can I try these out at Sam Ash/Crap Center in LA or will the stress of this lead me to beat the crap out of some indie employees? :)

4. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I agree, the DL4 is an incredible delay box. But where did you read that they don't last? I'm not doubting you, Tim, I'm just concerned because I've looked at Line6 stuff and I wouldn't want to get burned...
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the boss dd-20 giga-delay is a very versatile delay. i imagine it has the sounds of a dd-6 in there. also has an analog sim (not sure of its quality. probably one of the better ones).

the guitargeeks at guitargeek.com love the ibanez de-7 delay. that apparently has the best analog sim, so you are basically getting an awesome digital delay and an awesome analog-sounding delay.

personally, i have a dd-3 for delay and think that it is "versatile-enough" for me. i use it to make robot music, and the straight-up delay is long enough for all the music that i would want to play. its hold mode is ...pretty useless. that's where the dd-6 comes in...

as far as chorus goes, i use an ibanez cs-9 reissue. not the most versatile--the speed doesn't go extremely fast. so...try out the other ones, i guess. if you don't want a nigh-strictly-80s-chorus.
  6. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Some delays i would reccomend:
    Line 6 DL4
    Boss DD-20 Giga Delay

I've heard alot of people use the Pigtronix (sp?) envelope phaser. That thing is loaded with features and alot of bassists here seem to really like it. I like the MXR Phase 90, but it is prolly the most un-versaitile phaser out there. The Boss PH-3 is allright, the step mode is unusually cool
  7. Delay: If you don't wanna spend stupid amounts, the Ibanez DE7 or Guyatone MD3. Both are pretty sweet. All Boss delays sound sterile and like arse. I just bought a DD6 (mainly 'cause my Korg 301dl was failing sometimes) and apart from the reverse function, it's cold, digital and ick. The Line6 DL4 is freakin' amazing, but takes up quite a bit of room, and there have been reports of it being not-too-bulletproof (well, the large-format Line6 boxes in general).

Chorus: Stereo? Unless you're recording it's kinda pointless IMO. Anyways, Boss CEB3 sounds really good. For a more analog, darker tone check out the EH Small Clone (I replaced my CEB3 with a SC).

Phaser: EH Small Stone, Boss PH3, MXR Phase 90 (the Phase 100 has more control, but is more subtle). Each phaser on the market sounds different (even the EH russian and EH USA small stones sound different, which is kinda cool) and you run the whole gamut from hardly any control (MXR) to OTT-control (Pigtronix). I use a vintage Roland AP2 Phase 2 at the moment, really dark and evil sounding.
  8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i use a line 6 echo park delay

and a ebs unichrous
  9. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The Line 6 Echo Park is an amazing pedal I don't think there is a better delay. You may also want to look into their space chorus since all these pedals have tap tempo which is an amazing feature.

Hope this helps
  10. I bought a Line 6 delay modeler, just because I thought I might use the looper function. I already had a Danelectro analog delay and an old Yamaha analog delay. Well, I thought when i got the Line 6 that I might try to replace one of the other delays with it, but I was never happy with the sound compared with either of the others. If you're looking for the warm sound and natural decay that an analog delay provides, I'd recommend that you stay away from modelers. That cheap Dan Echo pedal I've got sounds better and the Yamaha delay (I think the model is E1010, it's a big black box) is the best sounding analog delay I've ever heard.

As far as phasers, I agree with the other poster that the Phase Shifter is sweet. The Electro harmonix Small Stone is fantastic, as well.
  11. Since you are in Los Angeles, would it be possible to swing by your place to check out your pedals? I'll bring the beer (or Sushi, or Gi Joes, or whatever you want!!). E-mail me at jay@grasstain.com and save me the humiliating pain of trying out pedals downtown!!!

12. And do you HIGHLY suggest this guitar pedal for basses?

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Many guitar effects works just fine for bass.

14. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    how about phaser and chorus together? or rather chorus by phasing. UNI-VIBE. (You know it and love it, Just add FUZZ; JIMI HENDRIX!!!!) I own and use a boss V-WAh. It has a convincing uni-vibe setting and a nice low pass filter wah. I also run a clean signal throught the second channel on my amp (mostly bass and mids). Wait, am I actually endorsing ditgital gear? Let me go slit my wrists....The V-Wah is a POS, but it sounds decent for what it is. The Built-in distortions are kinda fun to play with, but really unusable unless on all the time. I have to reset the infra-red sensor all the time, since I dont have a supra-pro-fession-al pedalboard and it gets kicked around. It sucks tone in the normal boss ways.

EDIT* I almost forgot. THE BEST, and I mean THE BEST phaser I EVER heard, is the bob MOOG phaser. it is 300 dollars or some thing outragous like that. If you have an obcene ammount of money or happen to be next to one take it with you.
  15. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  16. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Yup. Mooger Fooger MF-103. Expensive, 300 smackers. But best, most versatile phaser out there. Of course, it should be for the price.