Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are the names of companies...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cods, Oct 5, 2003.

1. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    that make (good)bass pre amps, and power amps.

i need to do some research on them, but i don't know the names of any companies.

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Start searching the archives here at TalkBass. You'll find them all discussed at length.

3. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    most noobish question ever:

where are the archives?

4. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    I think he means just use the search function to check out the old threads, you are sure to find many on this subject. All I can say is judge with your ears, and always take someone's opinion with a grain of salt. Happy hunting.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well, just so that you have someplace to start. I dig the Ampeg SVP Preamp. So, you can get that at:

http://www.ampeg.com

For the power amp, I have had some experience with QSC (RMX 850) and Carvin (DCM 1000) and both reasonably priced and have served me well.

http://www.qscaudio.com
    http://www.carvin.com

Good luck!

6. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i searched for "pre amp" , and the search results include any post with the word "amp" in it. so there are quite a lot of results.

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You'll find a list of some of the better preamps (along with sound clips) at www.basstasters.com .....not a complete list by any means, but a lot of good stuff.

More power amps........

Crown
    QSC
    Stewart
    Crest
    Mackie

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Aguilar
    Ampeg
    BBE
    Demeter
    Eden *
    Euphonic Audio *
    Fender
    Gallien-Krueger
    Genz Benz
    Glockenklang
    Hafler
    Hartke
    Mesa/Boogie *
    QSC Audio *
    SWR *
    Tech 21 *
    Trace Elliot
    Yamaha

* = ones I'd suggest checking 1st.

9. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    both of the links posted were VERY helpful(also the people who posted just names were helpful too). thank you.

10. Cods, if you click on LINKS at the top of the page(look up) you will get a list of companies and info about each of them!

;) Treena

11. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    For my money the Ampeg SVP-PRO is the best preamp, and I've paired it up with a Yorkville power amp with great results. The Yorkville stuff has one of the best bang for the buck ratios out there.

12. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Cods, when you search, type "preamp" as one word.