1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are the odds ...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Sep 25, 2017.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Fender Vintage '64 J pups vs. DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pups - first of all I gotta say that I'm well aware that a certain set of pickups are not going to sound the same way in any two Basses. Okay, with that being said, I have a set of Fender Pure Vintage 64 pickups in one bass (with an Audere JZ3 preamp), I also have another Frankenbass/Parts Bass (an SX Jazz body w/ '70's spacing) that has a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups ( that for whatever reason rarely ever gets played). Both Basses by the way are Ash body /Maple neck. Last night while switching between Basses I realize that DAMN! these DiMarzio pickups sound freaking Amazing! They had more output (w/no preamp mind you), they were clearer sounding, had more Growl- Great growl I might add, they were warmer and had more punch. So I'm thinking, since this Bass is sort of a Spare parts Bass laying around, I'm thinking, what are the odds of these DiMarzio pickups sounding just as good in my new favorite Bass? Now I know some of you are thinking, Why don't you just leave DiMarzio pickups in that Bass and start playing that one more often? Well, because I was really considering selling that Bass because it never gets played, but now I don't want to sell it with the DiMarzio pickups in it, I'd rather sell it with the Fender pure vintage '64 pups in it (or some other pickups that I may have lying around). Well, there's no guarantee that the DiMarzios are going to sound as good in the other Bass, but I'm definitely going to try it, cuz there's only one way to find out right? :D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Right. :)

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Go for it! Not a major mod and if you don't like them then swap them back. :thumbsup:

madjazzbass likes this.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That's exactly what I would expect. That was why people started using DiMarzios forty years ago when they were the first widely available replacement pickups. Hotter, growl, punch...yep, checks all those boxes.

madjazzbass likes this.
  5. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Exactly ... or shell out for the Lollars or the EMG's (JVX); which I know both are great sounding pups as well ... I have a set of EMG's (GZR) in a P/J Bass that I have; sounds Fantastic!

Mr_O'B likes this.
  6. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah those pickups sound Great without a preamp, the Audere maybe overkill; we'll see how that goes as well.

7. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I've done whatever necessary to get my basses to where I am 100% satisfied with them.
    Both of my basses are quality instruments!
    It would have been silly for me to get rid of perfectly good basses when modding was an option!

madjazzbass likes this.