what are the older fender mex. bodies made of?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Mar 23, 2003.

1. i am building a mexican fender reissue bass...
    only joking
    thinking about buying a jazz on ebay. it has the all in one plastic pickguard which i think is the earlier mex fenders. any ideas what the body wood is? really hope it is something like ordinary alder (me not too fussy) and just not soft rubbish like basswood.
    cheers for your help
  2. I'm pretty sure they're all poplar plywood.
  3. When did they make the switch? Keep in mind that from '89 to '97, Fender made solid-color American Standard Strats out of poplar.
  4. Both my MIM Fenders are made of alder. My P was purchased in 96 and my J is a 99.
  5. What colors are they? I had a '98 sunburst MIM J, purchased in 1999, and I think it was alder. I'm not sure about the solid-color basses, though.
  6. The P is white and the J is black. You know, now that I think of it, I asked several sales folks what the body wood was, and they all said it was alder. I've never actually had it confirmed. I guess since the weight and feel was nearly identical to the American counterparts, I assumed it was correct.

Now I'm not sure. You could be right, they may be poplar.
  7. I remember reading on the Fender website that they were made of poplar, then they upgraded all of them to alder in 2000 (?).
  8. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    My '92 MIM J is 4 pieces of laminated Poplar...

My '00 MIM J is quite a bit heavier... If forced, I would guess Alder.

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think my 2000 MIM Jazz is poplar, but I'm not absolutely sure.
  10. Honestly, they've got so much finish on them that I don't think the body wood matters all that much.
  11. I agree with Pete's last statement. Personally, I've tried alot of basses, but I absolutely love my Fenders. For me, you just can't beat that Fender sound.
  12. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i have a 97 and its a 1 piece pick-gaurd and i believe its one of the better yrs,i changed it up though,i got a black p/gaurd,w/black controll cover and black metal knobs and a bridge cover with the big f on it,it rocks now,it does'nt even look like the same bass,i'm not big on the one piece p-gaurds
    and i almost forgot its an alder body!:spit: