What are the Pros and Cons of theSquier P-Bass? Poll included!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Proud Bassist, Oct 14, 2002.

Do you like the Squier P-Bass

Poll closed Sep 14, 2003.
  1. Yes, its AWESOME

7 vote(s)
  2. its cool

21 vote(s)
  3. its good for begginers

65 vote(s)
  4. I HATE IT

20 vote(s)
  1. Proud Bassist

Proud Bassist

Oct 13, 2002
    i would like to know this! thanks in advance
  2. Years ago an inexpensive bass usually meant a bowed or twisted neck in about 6 months. Not true today. Inexpensive basses like the Squire P bass will play in tune and the necks will stay straight for years to come. The fret work might be a little rough and fit and finish too but if need something that will do the basic job of a bass guitar and last for years to come, I think they are just fine.
  3. Proud Bassist

Proud Bassist

Oct 13, 2002
    what could i buy (like as in hardware) to make it better?
  4. Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Sep 27, 2001
    i think the p-bass is great for beginners, ive been playin for about a year and i have a p-bass :D
  5. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    I started on a squier p-bass special...great first bass...a bit of fret buzz(which could have probably been fixed by a setup), but overall it was pretty good.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I don't think this really required the use of a poll.... Squires aren't fabulous basses.. they are decent cheap affordable basses... You probably won't find everything you want in one.. but then again.. you might...

If money is an issue, I would suggest looking at essex basses.. cheaper and just as good
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I wish this bass was around when I started. The truth of then matter is not everyone who start's playing a instrument continue's to play. It takes a strong willed person to keep on playing no matter what. This is an exellent bass for beginers without costing them a small fortune. If they get past the hump and consider music a part of there life they can alway's upgrade to something better. I truley think this way they will appreciate the upgraded axe more.
  8. "Pros and Cons of the Squier PBass 5"

I have a Squier Pbass 5 that I would like to comment on. I bought this bass because I had fell in love with the idea of having a five string pbass that was passive. The color and weight of this bass was the biggest reasons for my selecting it among about a dozen. I had all of the wiring, pots and pickups replaced with quality wiring and a set of Basslines vintage jazz toned pickups installed. The model of the pickups are Duncan SJB5s 67/70. These new pickups don't seem to have any power to talk about although they did fit perfect without any additional routing. The bass looks great. I'm very disappointed in this project but I think that changing the pickups again one day to a stronger powered set could easily put a smile on my face. Maybe I should have went quarterpounders. I think I'm going to wrap it up and throw it in the closet for a while to keep my mind off the losses (about $600.00 total). I have also found out I'm having problems with the Agathis wood. I installed some strap locks and they are in a soft spot I think and I had to doctor them up by putting sticks in the hole to re-enforce the grip of the screws. The screw by the pickguard needed a bit of doctoring up also and I now have to use my thumb to anchor the pickguard while I pull out the cord. So ....Squiers may not be running with the big dogs for a while in my book....at least the one I carefully selected. I have not had any problems with the neck or the tuning.

For about $250.00 dollars you can't go wrong for a beginner bass......but play it then chuck it as soon as your money gets right.
  9. I have to say I hate it, I would not do the same error again and buy a squier affinitiy p , I would choose a yamaha, because their quality is way better IMO if it had to be a fender/squier (i have no idea why this could be but ok) i'd get a squier jazz or P special , they are a bit pricier but a good bit better than the Affinity P's
  10. I started playing a couple of years ago on a squire p-bass. They do get the job done, and produce a decent tone and sound, but you outgrow it withing a year or two, It's still the only bass I have, but I go to the local music shop two times a week and whenever I come back, I feel like chucking that thing out the window.:D
  11. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    for the cost of the squiers and for what you get out of them, it is a hard deal to beat! most would probably move past the squiers pretty quickly, but they still get a decent price on ebay... so it would do great as a beginner bass!

12. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I own a Squier P Bass as well (first bass) and I think its an awesome playing bass! after getting a good setup on it, the thing is great to play on.. maybe not the best tone but like everyone says, it gets the job done.. I really love how it plays though.. maybe I should do a pickup change and maybe that might make things better.. go for it!

13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Possibly THE bass of choice for starting out.
  14. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I play an affinity p-bass, it is a very good bass now. When it arrived it was new in the box and not evan close to being setup. The neck required a trussrod adjustment to straighten it out, no problems with the neck after that, and I have also replaced the bridge with a Gotoh 201. I have used Roto rs66 strings and currently GHS boomers. I have had this bass for almost 2 years now. I will put fender reissue 62 pups in next and rebuild the wiring and pots. Also a 3 ply pickguard. Affinitys are made of alder just like regular Fenders. I have had no problems with the strap buttons or any other stripped screws. IMHO the indonesian models are junk, I have looked at them very closely, do not be mislead by them looking a little more real. In reality the affinity P-bass is a real P-bass stripped down and can be made into a very nice instrument, for less than a mexican standard. There is a difference in neck shapes, mexicans have more of a U-shaped neck while squiers have a C-shape.
  15. Dagger

Aug 2, 2002
    North Carolina
    I play a Squier P-Bass, Affinity series, made in Indonesia. The bass is one year and seven months old. After setting it up to MY preference, I think it's an awesome bass for the money. I've gone to music shops and played many different models and makes, and still come back home happy. The main problem with basses played in the store, they are not set up the way they should be, or either not set up for your style of playing. My Squier stays in tune the way you would expect one to, never needs too much tweaking. Maybe I just got a better than average Squier, but I still think it's a great bass for the money.
  16. My first bass was the Squier Affinity P-bass. Makes a great beginner bass, in fact, I still love mine. It wouldn't be my first choice though. Go with an Essex bass. It's cheaper, and better quality to boot. Still, you can't go wrong with the Squier for starting out. Be careful which one you pick up though, some are better than others.
  17. I went to a music store shoppinf for amps and i picked up a Squier P-bass. I LOVE to play bass, i don't know what i would do if i didn't play music, I have never stopped playing a bass because of the way it felt...until that day. Usually basses feel so good in my hand, i don't what to ever stop playing. But the neck on the P was rough. It fely like some one had forgotten to sand it. It was heavy and i could actually hear it comming out of tune as i was playing. Maybe that was an out of the ordenary P bass, but i could not stand to play it.
  18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I knew a kid who played a Squier Affinity P-Bass. It had a real sweet tone. The kid told me that the tuners started going south after a few months, so that's what I'd invest in if I got an Affinity.

Of course, for the extra expense, you could probably get something nicer, like a used Ibanez Roadstar or something like that. I'd just save another 100 or so bucks and get something that would last a bit longer...
  19. FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    Depends on the Squier you're talking about. For me the JV-Squiers are among the best basses I've ever played. Wouldn't trade it against any other Fender. Looking at the new Squiers, I guess I would prefer other instruments in that price range.
  20. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    here is my 1999 Squier P... no mods or anything.. all stock with 8 month old EB Strings!

Sorry about my horrible playing.. but hey, i am the "sucky bass player" so ;)