Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are the pros/cons of a Pre/power rig compared to a head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Sep 26, 2005.

1. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sup guys. I have a QSC RMX 1450 with a Sansamp RBI and a BBE sonic maximizer. At my local shop, they have a SWR Mo' Bass, which i played and loved by the way. They said they'd do a trade and $100 for it. So i don't know. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks.
    Adam.

ardormusic.com

2. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I wouldn't do it, your getting less power and probably not getting what you should for your old rig.

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Pre+power rules (once you've found YOUR sound with the right preamp). Gives unlimited scallability! By the way, RBI+power amp guy here...

ANDRUCA

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Pre + power: more flexibility (easier to change components)

Head: simpler, less weight (unless it's tubes)

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Pretty much says it all. I went from a pre/power to head. I simply didn't need all that power and I wanted something smaller and more portable. My Eden WT-550 and Bergantino HT112 does all I need and it's light and portable.

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Pre/Power:
    + Lots of flexability and upgrade paths
    - Stuck with SS power unless you can find an Aguilar Tube poweramp

+ toobs
    + Less stuff to hook up
    - Once you have a head you can't upgrade a piece later on without a new amp.

I'm a head guy. Just easier to find an amp that rocks than playing with different pre-amps.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If you really dig the Mo' Bass that much, you could always look around for a used Mini Mo'. It's the preamp/effects section of the Mo'Bass, and would allow you to keep your QSC.

8. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Or a peavey Classic 100/100, or a mesa 2:90, or countless other tube power amps.

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I knew there were more I just couldn't think of them.

10. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I dumped my rack rig long ago. Didn't sound any better, more crap to hook up, a pain to haul around. Get a integrated head, you'll be happier in the long run!

11. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Demeter makes an all tube power amp

12. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    +1

Also the Mini Mo' has some small improvements over the Mo' Bass.

13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I agree with everything that has been said except the "more things to hook up" statement. Once you hook it all up the first time you are through.

I love my pre/power setup. I have plenty of headroom for outdoor or larger gigs, I'm not having to constantly watch to see if my amp is clipping, and I don't have to be paranoid about knobs getting knocked off when it's in the band trailer...everything is protected.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Love my pre/power setup. I could list many reasons, but here's a big one: I like variety. In practical terms, this means I will never have a favorite amplifier. So, instead of owning different amp heads, I own a few nice preamps and can easily swap them in and out of my rack.

15. I went from a Eden Navigator Pre and a Mackie 1400 to and Aguilar DB750. I couldn't be happier. For me, I like the "all inclusive" qualities of a head. Also, when I need to, I just plug in my mackie to the 750 and plug in another 1, 2, 3 or 4 cabs. Either way is good. Just find the sound you like and go with it.

16. You already have a great power amp, why go down in power to get the Mo'Bass?

If you really like the MoBass sound, get the mini-mo preamp, as stated before its got some improvements over the MoBass, and its going to be cheaper too.

I have the Mo-Bass, its a lot of bells and whistles that are usually useless, but has decent tone, decent power. Its my practice/backup amp. I traded a bass for it, having the head vs the preamp made sense for convenience in practice amp. I would have gone with the preamp if I was going to use it for my main rig. But getting it in a trade like that, you don't have a lot of options, you trade for what the other guy has, not what you wish he had.

Randy

17. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Yeah, I think I'm going to keep what I've got now. If there's a price drop on it or something, I might pick it up, but as of now I'm keeping what I have. thanks again doods.

18. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Here is the way I am doing it and its MUCH less to haul and to set up. I have my pre (Sansamp RBI), my Korg DTR1 tuner, and my Yamaha CP2000 all mounted in our rolling rack with the PA ear and power amps. This way all I have to do is to run a chord from my guitar to the rack, and another from the rack to my cab. Virtually no setup at all. I do have anther setup for practice though.

Mr. Pitiful

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you dig the tones, do it! if not, leave it.

also, w/ your modular setup, you should be able to sell each item for a greater value than an ol' head. so you might wanna do the math via ebay to really find out what your rig's actually worth.

20. As pointed out, there are a few all tube power sections about, ampeg used to make one too, SVT 300

And with a head, you can still use seperate pre amp, more often than not . . . i do with my BDDI into power amp section sometimes