What are the pros-cons of neck-thru over bolt on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Feb 16, 2005.

1. I would like to know the pros and cons of Neck-thru basses over standard bolt on Is it just looks preference or is there something more? I would like to know and any help is very highly appreciated thank you
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Neck thru usually adds more sustain due to the more direct transfer of vibrations. Downside to neckthru : swapping necks is impossible. if you want to change the neck for whatever reason, you cant.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And as for bolt-ons, just to make this complete:
    Usually less sustain with more punch. Many funk players prefer b/o.
    Also, usually cheaper, and can be replaced
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I prefer bolt ons over neck thrus, largely for the punch and slap tone.
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Me too! ;)
  6. I used to never look at neck-throughs- preferred the punch & response I perceived in bolt-ons. Then I realized I always boosted the bass, or rolled off treble, which seemed to not be neccesary in a NT. So when I had a custom built, I went NT fretted 6, & I love it. The sustain is unreal- I have to choke it, sometimes! But if it's not there, you can't just 'eq' it in. I also have a Fender 4 & 5 for that sound. Just extra colors on the palette.
  7. tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    Figjam's got it.
    Neck through has better sustain, but replacing the neck is not an option. Bolt ons have a bit less sustain but will be more punchy and cheaper. Judging by your name you prob want a bolt on if you will be playing punk/rock
  8. I know judgin by my name what you'd think (lol) but i used to skate i dont anymore but i couldnt think of anything i hate all that Dashboard confessional, and stuff like that I like and play Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath,CCR,Jimi Hendrix,Kiss,Prong,GNR,M.M, RHCP, etc etc i just couldnt think of anything else for a web name and i enjoy very much a nice smooth jazz song and The blues their irresistible to play

And thanks for all the Replies I really appreciate it
  9. This may or may not matter to you, but neck-throughs often have better upper-fret access. Mine does- handy for pretend-I'm-a-guitarist chordy stuff.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Never been a consideration.

So there.

11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL