Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are the pros & cons of the new MM pickups configurations?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Akami, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Yes! I'm going to add one of the new H/H pickup versions to my MM collection!

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Yes! I'm going to add one of the new H/S pickup versions to my MM collection!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes! Now I'll finally get a MM bass, H/H configuration!

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Yes! Now I'll finally get a MM bass, H/S configuration!

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Maybe, I'll have to wait and see what they sound like.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Maybe, I'll have to wait and see what everyone else thinks so I'll know what to think.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Maybe, I'll have to wait and see what the weather is like.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. No, I'm broke and wish they would quit coming out with products I can't live without!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  9. No, I want the new Sterling, but I wish you could still select series/parallel.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  10. No way, it doesn't matter what they do, I don't like them!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

MusicMan basses have a huge following but there have always been those who wished they had two pickups, hence at least part of the reason for the popularity of the Bongos.

Now that the StingRays and Sterlings will be coming out with H/H and H/S options are there any who have held off getting a MusicMan because they wanted two pickups but didn't like the Bongo? :confused:

Also, the Sterling will now get two pickups, but lose the series/parallel options on the switch, and as near as I can tell from the schematics, the dummy coil will no longer be there.
    I may be wrong on this point and if anyone knows, clue us all in. :)

Now on with the poll! :hyper:

Disclaimer: Sorry in advance for no carrot options. :rollno:

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hmm... I think you should add an option like "No, I'm so happy with my Bongo". I didn't know about the Bongo when I started my quest for a MusicMan bass. It started when I wrote to EBMM customer service asking for the possibility of a 24-fret StingRay, because that's a bass I've liked a lot since I heard it and saw it for the first time (the only pickguard I love, BTW), but I also like a 24-fret neck. They told me "no", but told me about the Bongo which, according to Mr. Scott Applegate, "tonal capabilities and overall sound... is far superior to the Stingray, and I highly recommend checking it out if you can". So, a 24-fret neck was the initial reason and that isn't a SR or Sterling feature. I don't think of StingRays or Sterlings anymore. I'm extremely happy with this instrument and already have a unlined fretless Bongo on order. I think I won't suffer of GAS in a long, long time. Just maybe if:

1- a 5 string, 24 fret Rickenbacker 4003 is released (with stereo output, bindings and all the classic Ric stuff), which I doubt because this company seems to be extremely conservative, or...

2- I win a lottery and get enough funds to buy a Sadowsky top of the line Jazz Bass.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, I just hope that it makes the prices of single pickup Stingrays fall on the used market. :)

4. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Yeah I tried to go back and put it in but couldn't.

Probably will and that would have been another good option!
    "No, I'll just wait for prices to go down on all the single pickup models!"

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im a sterling man and the new sterling doesnt make me happy. Im sticking with my sterling.

6. A-ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What about the 4004cii/5???A friend got one and it's a serial killer(if you can stand the horrible string spacing) :D

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Just checked it at the Ric site. 20 frets, mono output, no binding... still GAS free (phew!).