Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are the signs of TB?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 17, 2005.

1. No, not this forum, the lung disease. I'm asking because I've got this really bad cough, and I'm struggling to breathe. It feels like my air ways are blocked, but I can't seem to clear them. I've had a repetitive cough for a while now and people keep saying I have TB. Help? :help: :crying: :eek:

2. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    I think a visit to the doc's is definitely in order - it could be just a chest infection, something like that.

From tuberculosis.net:

3. "How can I tell if someone has TB?"

Only specialized tests can tell for sure if someone has TB. People with TB often have a cough that goes on for two or more weeks. Sometimes people with TB will cough up small amounts of blood. People with TB often have fevers, night sweats, and unexplained weight loss. Any person who has these symptoms for more than a few days should see a doctor.

So - you need proper med advice! your GP is the only one who can help! but try not to assume it's the worst thing it could be.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Chronic coughing
    Night sweats
    Unexplained weight loss

Get a PPD (Manteaux?) skin test which shows if you've been exposed to TB and if you have been exposed, get a chest x-ray to know for sure if it's active.

4. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Did you have the TB jab in school Nick?

5. Yes, I think a visit to a GP (even a UK NHS Doctor) would be slightly more appropriate than a Bass Forum. :D :D

On a positive note, I wouldn't necessarily equate a persistent cough with TB. If that were the case, there would be very few of us left to tell the tale by now.

In any event:

Diagnosis by internet=blind leading the partially sighted IMHO :D

Good luck.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

Isn't TBC the abreviation of tubercolosis?
    At least here, it's TBC...

Nick, if you're ill, go to a doctor.
    NOW!

7. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    TB here! us crazee Brits :D

and yes, a doctor is what you need, there's only so much medical assistance you can get from a bass forum :) and thats my field!

8. Yup, my dad has this too and he's off to the doc on friday. I don't have nightsweats, but I do have difficulty sleeping as I'm coughing all the time. I don't think I've lost any weight. I dunno what it is, but I just wanted to be sure.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You could also have pertussis, also known as whooping cough. It takes months to get over, and results in coughing spasms that make it almost impossible to get your breath. My son had it for almost three months.

Edit: Go and see a doctor!

10. You could, of course, merely have a cough.

Boring and undramatic, but easily cured. :)

11. Hopefully it's just a "simple" chest infection. TB is actually still fairly rare in the UK. Your chances of getting it are small if you've had the TB vaccination (look for the scar on the upper arm). If you had your BCG you'll have remembered it. If you didn't then you probably came up positive on the Heaf test (ring of injections with TB antibodies on your forearm).

I had to have another TB test recently before I could work in the US. Before that I had a decent cough for a month or so, but it turned out to be a chest infection and a week's worth of antibiotics cured that.

Get thee to your local surgery.

12. I haven't had my TB vaccination.

13. I usually have a cough from Nov-April. But I don't feel like laying down the spliffs. Sometimes I can't stop coughin', cough on. :cool:

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, if he has to work and that's why he only goes to the doc on friday, than that's understandable.
    But what about you? HAVE YOU STILL NOT GONE TO THE DOC YET?!?
    Nick, seriously, if you have a hard time breathing sometimes, then ASAP!!!

15. Why not? Is it because the Heaf test came up positive? Or because you weren't at school the day they were giving out the BCG's? I didn't get a BCG because I had had some kind of vaccination back in primary school when I was living in Geneva for a bit. This caused difficulties recently because they had no record of me getting any vaccination and no obvious BCG scar. SO I had to go through the whole testing thing again, including a chest X-Ray. Pain in the bum, but that's all thankfully.

16. Nope, my dad didnt take me for my school leaver jabs because 'he didnt think the letter should have arrived two years before i left school'. Admittedly the name is deceiving, but they probably stagger the send out of letters so they dont have several million people rushing for their jabs all at once.

17. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    That's strange, we all had the test and the jab (if test was OK) at school automatically?

and at age 12 too, ages before we left :confused:

I thought everywhere did a similar thing?

18. What is it with people asking for medical advice on a BASS PLAYING FORUM? I swear, if another person asks what we think when their leg starts turning green and falling off before going to a doctor, I'm going to scream.

19. One of the major symptoms is posting silly threads.

20. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

My guess is that you have bronchitis. Go see a doctor.